Tweeter availability for KLH5?

Quoytard

I’m away from home and can’t refer to my notes but I’m sure this has been discussed here before. Which model’s tweeters work in the Fives? The list in our Library doesn’t address this and the excellent chart on aphenos.net is a little vague on the tweeter question. Anybody have the answer?

Hello Quotard,

I used a phenolic tweeter (Marsland brand) in my model 23 clones and am very happy with the results, The 23 has a high level attenuator switch to help level 

the output. I am still looking for model 23 tweeters but am not willing to pay $75 to $100 per .

Lonny

IMG_3518.JPG

two links to relevant threads

Worth considering? Q&A replies indicate they will do the trick. Sizing may be a problem, not sure.

Also, if these are used, will x-over specs need to be adjusted to accommodate?

Thought from any and all apprecitaed.

Thanks -

Steve

That speaker has close to the same specs as the phenolics I used ,

I copied the 23 crossover as close as I could . I (we) had a hard time finding the inductor number but I think everyone involved agreed on .4mH

I used a .39mH inductor as well as 3.9ohm 6.2ohm and 8.2ohm (for the 4,6,8ohm)  in mine. Those tweeters are cheap enough to experiment with until you  find a decent pair of KLH's.

Lonny

IMG_3533.JPG

Thanks for the testimonial that these tweeters will work, CYNR 

This leads to a couple of questions for this forum:

What if anything has to be done with the x-overs? CYNR addresses that in his message above but would be interested in hearing what others think or have experienced. 

Second, does anyone know if the cutout dimensions of the phenolic tweeters make for an easy replacement or will retro-fitting be needed? What further complications might that create? 

Thanks.

Steve

You only need one tweeter. If you can’t find a 5/12/23 use a 6/17/20. Close enough until you find the correct one. Personally I would not fuss with custom face plates and xo mods for the PRT.