brush for applying RoyC sealant

Quoytard

Will be applying RoyC’s sealant to my KLH 5 cloth surrounds (woofer and mid-range). A commercial painter friend of mine suggested using a different brush from the one that came with the RoyC sealant I ordered. I got a brush from Michael’s (on right in the pic) which my painter friend thought would work fine. Attached pic shows both.

Asking for opinions, advice, thoughts, and/or words of caution on using either one. Thanks.

Steve

brushes for cloth surrounds.jpg

On 8/23/2022 at 2:20 PM, Quoytard said:

Will be applying RoyC’s sealant to my KLH 5 cloth surrounds (woofer and mid-range). A commercial painter friend of mine suggested using a different brush from the one that came with the RoyC sealant I ordered. I got a brush from Michael’s (on right in the pic) which my painter friend thought would work fine. Attached pic shows both.

Asking for opinions, advice, thoughts, and/or words of caution on using either one. Thanks.

Steve

brushes for cloth surrounds.jpg

That would be a waste of what appears to be a nice "artist" brush, Steve. The included brush is a common "flux brush", and will do an excellent job of applying the sealant. 

Roy

I think also if you use too fine of a brush, the sealant will more quickly "seal up" the spaces between bristles and not apply as evenly the wet sealant. The coarse bristles of the supplied brush allow you to quickly gather wet sealant into the brush and drain it out quicker as u brush the speaker surround. Move quickly and use even back and forth strokes.

It helps to put a piece of tape to mark ur starting point and do sections between screw holes between brush dips. It is hard to see where u have applied and not applied, and u dont want to use too much. It dries in brush fast so have all ur drivers ready to go before starting. 

• 3 weeks later...