AR-1W info

Andy

The serial number is 3900, birch cabinet. About what year would this date to? I'm guesing 1957-59 since from what I've read, production was limited in 1955-56 and things didn't really get going until the late 50s. I am surprised to see the 1W was still being produced in 1969. Also, any idea of total number of units made on this model?

The serial number is 3900, birch cabinet. About what year

>would this date to? I'm guesing 1957-59 since from what I've

>read, production was limited in 1955-56 and things didn't

>really get going until the late 50s. I am surprised to see the

>1W was still being produced in 1969. Also, any idea of total

>number of units made on this model?

I don't know exactly where SN 3900 AR-1W would fall, but you can extrapolate it to some degree: in 1954, AR built no speakers for sale; in March of 1955 AR began to ship the AR-1 and AR-1W, and with sales of $57K that year, the production of the concurrently serial-numbered AR-1s, AR-1Ws and AR-1Us ran about 340 to 350 units (about a 4:1 ratio of AR-1s to AR-1Ws and AR-1Us). In 1956, AR sales were $383K, and the production numbers were in the range of 2200 to 2300 units. Sales were up to approximately $1M by 1957, but about 70% of those sales were for the new AR-2. I believe that AR-1W with SN 3900 probably fell into 1957 somewhere.

Acoustic Research continued producing the AR-1W until 1973, but production numbers were quite limited. AR-1Ws after about 1970 had the 200003-type woofer rather than the earlier Alnico #3700 woofer. As for the total number of AR-1Ws, there were probably 4-5,000 units produced I’m guessing. I believe the totals for the AR-1 family were approximately 20,000 units, although I am not sure.

--Tom Tyson

Thanks for those figures Tom, they are helpful in under standing the early years. I did locate your reply to a posting, Jan 16th this year in which you mention that only 336 AR-1W's were produced in 1958...sounds as though the 1W was more of a speciality item for those who wanted Woofers and high frequency drivers in seperate enclosures.

I was curious about how long production lasted, in the AR Model History-Chronological Order of the library section of this website, it lists that production stopped on the 1W in 1961 ? But my 1969 AR brochure supports your mention of about 1973 since it lists the 1W as a model offered. It makes sense that they would continue a limited production to meet the needs of audiophiles, though it would not have been a money maker for the company.

By the way, the birch 1W I first mentioned was won yesterday in an ebay auction for about $100. and figured that that's not too bad for an early AR item. The regular AR-1 prices are too rich for my blood, $2,600 bid last week for a nice pair...YIKES!

>Thanks for those figures Tom, they are helpful in under

>standing the early years. I did locate your reply to a

>posting, Jan 16th this year in which you mention that only 336

>AR-1W's were produced in 1958...sounds as though the 1W was

>more of a speciality item for those who wanted Woofers and

>high frequency drivers in seperate enclosures.

>I was curious about how long production lasted, in the AR

>Model History-Chronological Order of the library section of

>this website, it lists that production stopped on the 1W in

>1961 ? But my 1969 AR brochure supports your mention of about

>1973 since it lists the 1W as a model offered. It makes sense

>that they would continue a limited production to meet the

>needs of audiophiles, though it would not have been a money

>maker for the company.

>By the way, the birch 1W I first mentioned was won yesterday

>in an ebay auction for about $100. and figured that that's not

>too bad for an early AR item. The regular AR-1 prices are too

>rich for my blood, $2,600 bid last week for a nice

>pair...YIKES!

Andy,

The AR-1W was a specialty item designed originally for those with the Janszen 130 electrostatic tweeter (and occasionally for those with the Bozak 8-inch midrange and the 130 tweeter combination). As AR was quick to point out, the woofer in the AR-1 was the significant thing, not necessarily the 8-inch 755A Altec Lansing tweeter. The 755A was good but much-more ordinary than the acoustic-suspension woofer. Ironically, the 755A has had an enormous following. Don't ask me why.

The AR-1W continued to be offered far-longer than the AR-1 itself which, after the introduction of the AR-3, was discontinued in the 1960s due to declining sales. For fifteen or twenty years the AR-1W had no peer in terms of low-distortion, low-bass reproduction; 50-years later the woofer is still excellent, which is a pretty good indication of a timeless design.

--Tom Tyson

Archived