Jump to content

UK AR-5 owner needing help


JamesF
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi 🙂

I have recently acquired my late father's AR-5 speakers. They have been in my mums spare room for at least 20 years but they bought them new back in the 70s.

I can see the woofers need work on the surrounds, and reading the threads here is telling me much of the other stuff there will need work too. Bit daunting, especially as I think getting spares over here in the UK may be tricky. 

Would I be best cutting my losses and just sell and buy new modern pair of speakers? 

James 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are there any reputable repair places in the UK? 

I've been in touch with a couple of places, one quoted £360 but sounded like wanted to replace much of the original drivers 

The other wanted to repair existing and use secondhand muds, but couldn't find replacement tweeters so didn't want to proceed with any works. Which was fair to hear, sounds like semi decent if nothing else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mike tarelli said:

Have you contacted Wilmslow Audio? They could re-foam the woofers and replace the caps.

For the tweeters I would bite the bullet and send them to Chris on this site. Worth the effort and the cost.

 

Hi Mike 

Yes, they were the first people I contacted, mainly because I was thrown by the name. Wilmslow is right near my mums! However they're now located quite a bit further away. 

I could quote their response, would that be appropriate here? 

Are they recognised AR people in the UK? 

Thank you for replying! 😁 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi I'm in the UK (Dorset) I can refoam your woofers for free if needed , obv you will need refoam kit, cheapest for us are from a company in Holland,  are the mids and tweeters working ? are the adjustable pots on the back movable or corroded stuck , new grille covers are easy enough to do 

message me if needed Gary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your mids and tweets are probably good—it’s the pots and maybe the caps that are bad. Take reza up on his generous offer to re-foam. Try spinning the level controls several times to scrape off any corrosion and see what happens with the mids and tweets 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Take a look at the AR-3a restoration guide. The 5 is essentially a slightly smaller 8 ohm version of the 3a. One of the authors, RoyC can also rebuild tweeters if needed. Mids are a bit trickier but I bet they are ok. Don’t let anyone put modern drivers in those! You’d be better off selling them as is to an AR enthusiast and buying newer speakers. No shortage of excellent speakers in the UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, reza said:

Hi I'm in the UK (Dorset) I can refoam your woofers for free if needed , obv you will need refoam kit, cheapest for us are from a company in Holland,  are the mids and tweeters working ? are the adjustable pots on the back movable or corroded stuck , new grille covers are easy enough to do 

message me if needed Gary

Wow, thank you so much. I'll be in touch by pm. I am up in North Yorkshire though so it'll be a while before I'm back south. But I'll def take you up on your kind offer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JKent said:

Your mids and tweets are probably good—it’s the pots and maybe the caps that are bad. Take reza up on his generous offer to re-foam. Try spinning the level controls several times to scrape off any corrosion and see what happens with the mids and tweets 

When I turn the knobs on the back they are a bit crunchy, in feel. 

I need my wife to go out for the day so I cab run a couple of leads and see if they work at all. I will go easy as I know they will be fragile. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JKent said:

Take a look at the AR-3a restoration guide. The 5 is essentially a slightly smaller 8 ohm version of the 3a. One of the authors, RoyC can also rebuild tweeters if needed. Mids are a bit trickier but I bet they are ok. Don’t let anyone put modern drivers in those! You’d be better off selling them as is to an AR enthusiast and buying newer speakers. No shortage of excellent speakers in the UK

Oh I have! 😁 Although I've yet to find the actual article itself, just long thread about various aspects. I'll look harder tomorrow when I can. Thank you for your reply though. Much appreciated 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Oh I have! 😁 Although I've yet to find the actual article itself, just long thread about various aspects. I'll look harder tomorrow when I can. Thank you for your reply though. Much appreciated 

The 2nd pinned post at the beginning of th AR section has a link to the document in our Library 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JamesF said:

Thank you. I'll look tomorrow... When my wife isn't looking over my shoulder! 🙄😬

James, if you wife is picking on you, simply show her @briodo's photo of this lineup of AR speakers.   Then tell her that you plan to dispense with the AR5's and are going  directly to AR9's.  😇

 

 

ARs.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MGC-1. You need a pair of these. Two pairs for home theater. Then you can use the AR-5s for center channel, one above the screen and the other below it so the sound images from the center of the screen.

 

s-l1600.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, genek said:

MGC-1. You need a pair of these. Two pairs for home theater. Then you can use the AR-5s for center channel, one above the screen and the other below it so the sound images from the center of the screen.

 

s-l1600.jpg

On 7/21/2022 at 3:47 PM, JKent said:

 

OMG you guys. 😳😳😳😳😳😳

(But also. 😍😍😍😎😎😎

Mine currently like this... Hoping she just gets used to being there... 

 

(We don't use the fire now as she made us install central heating last year) 

 

 

IMG_20220721_181817.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...