>records on my Thorens turntable. Call me crazy but I'm

>beginning to like the record sound better than CDs. This is

>in part because the ARs does such a great job of reproducing

>high frequency components and many CDs do sounds

>"sharp" or "harsh".

>

>Any comments?

>

>Any vinyl listening people out there???

>

>

>Any vinyl listening people out there???

>

>

Dear subscriber,it's not a fair question to a person like me as I have been listening to vinyl all of my life!! Most of what all of us have heard the last 75 or so years has also been on vinyl or tape.

The last fifteen years or more have been on CD I admit. Most of my system sounds better on vinyl and CD, always depending on the program material and how it was recorded. Just like it was when my speakers were brand new in 1972, I was always reading advise of that nature in terms of listening to my then present system of AR speakers.

frankmarsi@verizon.net

Guest OldRelayer

My scale arrived today along with my new cartridge. The scale is very nice indeed, have it set up for .1 accuracy it will actually go down to .01 but I don't think that is necessary. It seems like a very accurate way of doing this, thanks for the tip much better than my old AR scale.

Barry

Guest OldRelayer

There was a lot of interest in this thread, meaning that people still do listen to Vinyl.

I recently have different everything, a new turntable and a different floor on which to put it. This has lead to a situation that I never had a problem with a turntable that was hard to level. Hard to believe that more people are not interested in this subject, at least it was hard for me to find specific information. So I thought I would share what I did.

A couple of weeks ago I bought leveling feet off Ebay(I buy everything off Ebay now a days).

http://kc1619.com/osu0403levelsmallfeet6449n4635full.jpg

I went through all kinds of different designs on how to mount the feet, from drilling holes in the actual table(I am glad I didn't do that) to glueing connor pieces, to making a frame with biscuits and glue. Then I finally decided that all I needed was a big enough piece of wood. I found something that was intended to be used as a large Plaque that is exactly the right size at a craft store.

I had been warned that 4 point leveling will drive you crazy and they were right and 3 point was much easier, right again. But to try for myself I put 2 inserts in the front and 3 in the back. I messed with 4 point for a half and hour and wanted to throw the table out the window and then put the one in that was exactly centered in the back(I think that is the trick, I spend a long time making sure this was dead center). Within a minute or two the 3 point worked like a charm. I am still trying to get the stain right, but it actually came out pretty good. If I could find a nice 2 inch thick piece of wood, I think that would work good and look nicer, but I could be wrong. The picture is a little tilted and I can't take another one at this time without waking people up, but you can get the idea. The table and frame do not contact each other, I used neoprene buttons, you can get thenm most anywhere. Also the rack is mighty heavy, full of all my equipment, an amp that weighs a ton and the bottom is filled with Records.

http://www.casualelegants.com/Barry/2.jpg

Archived