Another new KLH Five owner with questions

jessiAV

On 5/3/2022 at 6:29 PM, jessiAV said:

You are right. I was sleepy when I ran these measurements and used a component tester running at 100k, which is the industry standard. Dumb me.. 

100k? What industry standard are you referring to? Most non-adjustable LCR meters are measuring well below 100hz (not k), with some as low as 8hz. The labels on the capacitors we are using for crossovers show the rated value at 1000hz (1k or 1khz).

Frankly, your Mundorf caps do not appear to measure nearly as well as the Madisound (MDL) or Parts Express electrolytics I've been using.

Roy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My test equipment is used in digital systems I encounter at work. Still, I also have a Mega 328 based (100k) tester that one other member here has used. Good for high frequency work, but as you accurately point out, not so much for audio frequencies.

Not sure what to say about the E-Caps?  If I try re-capping again, I may try some of my plastic caps (2 to 10uf values from Conrad Johnson, Kimber, some old Sideral, and Erse) tho it might be neat to fit something better. My second pair of OLA's were re-capped with Erse; which were pleasant but I wonder if there are nicer caps out there?

• 3 weeks later...

So to update this thread, I will say I'm extremely pleased with my Fives at this time. While the quality of the bass is as excellent as expected from a Kloss design, the midrange's freedom from distortion is just remarkable. World class. Personally, I would like a bit more energy at the woofer/midrange crossover point, but that should come as I continue to work with the speakers. For now, I'm just enjoying my music and discovering newly revealed subtle details my modified OLA's couldn't achieve.

BTW, these KLH woofers do have the cone weight written on the inside, the ink has just faded and so they are difficult to see. And with Roy C's majik sealant, they certainly go as deep as the OLA's. 

Finally, I just love the cabinet's front shaping and color of it's wood.  Lovely stuff.

• 10 months later...
On 3/12/2022 at 11:42 AM, Brad1234 said:

Here is a pic if the little wire holes I sealed up. 

9BD3D0F6-04BB-466D-98B4-6158ACF049B8.jpeg

if you don't mind, what did you use to make a seal. I'm not much of a plumber mzself and wanted to get an idea of the best approach. I'd like something easily removable if I end up having to take the leads out. Would Blu Tack work?

19 hours ago, nawtrobar said:

if you don't mind, what did you use to make a seal. I'm not much of a plumber mzself and wanted to get an idea of the best approach. I'd like something easily removable if I end up having to take the leads out. Would Blu Tack work?

Parts Express sells 3/8" gasket tape as well as a black caulk/putty.

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-components/cabinet-hardware-speaker-grill-cloth/Speaker-Gasketing-Tape-Caulk

Roy

I use the partsexpress black rope caulk for woofer sealing. U have to shape it a little by gently pulling on it to thin it for the smaller drivers. It is sticky but not messy, excess easily scrapes off baffle and wont stain if removed soon after install. The area smashed under the drivers stains and "impregnates" the baffle, but it is easy to scrape off old and put new right back over old residue, no cleaning necessary.

Super easy to remove driver and redo seal as much as u need to. I have removed and replaced the drivers like 4 times for various repairs/adjustments on my 5's, often just reshaping and re-using old rope caulk.