AR-5 restoration

Guest OldRelayer

Guest OldRelayer

I already know the surrounds have to be replaced, no big surprize there. But I am thinking while the woofer is out, how hard is it to get to the crossover to change the caps and to the pots for cleaning. Or is there an easier way.

Thanks

Barry

>But I am thinking while the woofer is out, how hard is it to get to the crossover to change the caps and to the pots for cleaning.<

You may not need to change the caps in an AR-5. Maybe someone with experience with those specific caps can help if you will tell us (or take a picture and show us) which ones are in your speakers.

If there's an easier way to get to any of these things than through thw woofer-hole, I'm unaware of it.

Bret

The AR-5 crossover layout is exactly the same as the AR-3a. Every component and respective location is duplicated...only difference being the component values. There was a 24uF/72uF dual value wax block cap for the mid and woofer and a smaller round 4uF tweeter cap (see photo) in each of the pair I recently worked on. The Library AR-3a schematics will give you an idea of what components the AR-5 crossover consists of.

Gotta go with Bret..the woofer hole it is!:-)

Speaking of the woofer, spare no expense or care in re-foaming them. It is nearly impossible to find an "exact" AR-5 replacement woofer.

Any fan of that AR era will love the AR-5. It is well worth the effort!

Roy

post-101150-1136941687.jpg

Guest OldRelayer

Thanks guys, actually that is whay I wanted to hear, if the woofer is going to be out anyway, it seems like the best time to change the caps.

I know these speakers well, had a pair, the best speakers I ever owned and to may ear I haven't heard anything that I liked better, that I could afford.

Thanks

Barry

>What has your experience been with these?

Bret, This is the first of this type of Industrial Condenser Corp cap I have seen. The speakers date to late 1971. Both caps measure just about on the money (4uf+/-) and have a DF of .02..not bad! I may A/B one with one of the intended replacements (North Creek Zen) for the heck of it.

The dual caps were strange..They were stamped 28uf and 78uf which were crossed out with "24" and "72" written in. They actually measured around 30uf and 80uf. Those babies are history. The written in values are apparently the "correct" ones according to the archives.

>(nice photography

dumb luck:-)

Roy

Archived