AR-18, Rock Partner & Other Clones: Change That Cap!!

Guest Robert M

Guest Robert M

After swapping out the electrolytics for Dayton poly caps on several of the vintage speakers I have and concluding the practice a waste of time--no discernable difference, I struck gold on the AR Rock Partner. This speaker was really not bad to begin with, but there is no doubt the overall clarity of the speaker has improved (and my hearing is not that great!). I don't have a meter, so can't tell if the improvement replaced a bad cap. Being that there is only one cap on these (5 uF), an easy, worthwhile, and inexpensive upgrade for the ARs with the 8" woofer, 1 1/4" tweeter. BTW, the Matelectronics .99 foam is a perfect fit on these.

I've heard the before and after effects of capacitor replacement on various speakers including AR, Snell, JBL and a few bottom end manufacturers. For the most part, I'm of the opinion that the biggest differences (or changes) are due to replacing old, worn out caps rather than the type of cap used. I've no imperical evicence to support this, just my attempt to rationally listen with a jaded ear.

In my case, cap replacement made a massive change in the sound, but several caps were also bad enough the upper midrange drivers were effectively dead.

Archived