Advent/1 and Large Advent square vs round magnet

Brad1234

I know this topic was briefly discussed before, but I got a pair of The Advent Loudspeaker to restore, late 70's model, metal frame woofer and fried egg tweeter. I opened them up to refoam and discovered they had the woofers swapped for the round magnet version some decades ago since foam surround is all rotted away. I have a pair of Advent/1's I have had in the family since mid 70's with square magnet and love them.

I am very disappointed the pair I am restoring has the round, newer woofers and wondering if anyone has an opinion or experience with these speakers with the woofer replaced with the round magnet?  I am tempted to look for a pair of vintage square magnet woofers to swap them out but not sure it is worth the money?  Or what I could resell the round magnet ones for?  I greatly appreciate any advice from any Advent experts out there!

48090A3D-7B5A-4EA4-960D-D70896BB456A.jpeg

12784032-F2DF-45D8-89CD-1D4E82F1BE4C.jpeg

D1C9EC0B-848D-4E9D-A0EB-559E6227E960.jpeg

5E825D32-DC78-46C8-A8ED-37D1D9A03D7C.jpeg

I don't believe there is much difference in performance between the square magnet woofer and the round magnet woofer. Pete B. would be more authoritative on that but I'm pretty sure. Advent used the round magnet woofers on all models after Jensen bought the company and I have never heard anything about a real difference in low frequency handling.

I wouldn't be too disappointed.

Doug

I went ahead and ordered original square magnet woofers for a hefty $150 w shipping assuming I can sell round ones to make up some of the expense. Got them installed now and it is night and day difference over the round magnet!  Definitely the sound I am used to from having the smaller Advent/1's since I was literally a baby. There is no question the square magnet have a much fuller sound and carry a ton of midrange for the speaker and make them sound so incredible like they are meant to.  The round magnet had a flatter sound in the midrange, sounded ok but not up to original sound. Crazy that speaker repairers in the 80's and 90's replaced these magical woofers just for some degraded foam??  

E9C6E31C-364D-4ACB-A809-28C19CD130BF.jpeg

12666AA0-1176-4E59-8160-61BC375DD9C4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brad. New here myself, and a 'new to me' OLA owner in need of help. Where did you source the square magnet woofers? 

On 2/7/2022 at 7:20 PM, Brad1234 said:

ordered original square magnet woofers for a hefty $150 w shipping

I found a set of the square magnet woofers on ebay for $150 w shipping. I sold the other round magnet woofers on ebay last week for about $100, so just lost $50 on the deal but the sound difference with square woofers is amazing, so worth it. They may be hard to find and frequently need new foam, which is an easy DIY job. You just need to be sure the voice coil slides smoothly to ensure they're not blown. The seller should verify this as terms of buying them. 

• 1 month later...

I've measured the in system, small signal, T&S parameters for OLA, NLA square,

and 5012 round magnet woofers and they are all nearly the same.  I'm very curious

to find out the wind height on the round magnet version but have never had one

apart to do it.  There might easily be large signal differences.

If anyone has a blown round magnet woofer I'll pay shipping to me and report back 

on the findings.

Pete, I brought this very topic up a year + ago.

I have the woofer your looking for.  A round out of a 5012w.

I'd be happy to ship it to you no problem.  

Scott.munoz.2007@gmail.com send me your address.  Ship tommortoe...id like to know.

I agree, the square metal nla woofer sounds as described above.  

Scottie

Edited by scottie munoz
Grammar

Hi Scottie,  That would be great I've been wondering about this for a very long time!

I'll send you my address by email.

Thanks,  Pete B.

I grew up listening to my parents square magnet NLA's since the early 80's, and conned them into trading them to me for some pawn shop Technics speakers in high school, so I know the sound of the Advent square magnet well. When I got another set of NLA's with the new woofer round magnet replacement, I could immediately tell the difference. And I had my childhood NLA's still to compare them to, it was easily discernible. There is no question in my mind, the bass is deeper and the mid is clearer on the square magnet original woofers. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to hear that you're back Scottie, just get better nothing to worry about here!

I went through my pile of drivers and found one that made sense to open up.  I expected 

to find more of a difference but not much.  I'll report on it when I can find some time.

• 3 weeks later...

All of my NLA square magnet woofers are in good condition and therefore I don't want to open

up any of them.  If anyone has a blown one, I'd like to take a look at it for analysis, preferably in

the CT area.

I have a pair of "franken 3-way" Large Advents that have the round magnet Jensen woofer.

No idea where the person got the woofers, both have the 10-990-536 number on them but

one has a date code of 285 85 28 for the 28th week of 1985 and the other 220 82 43 for

the 43 week of 1982 the later one has an extended center pole piece by about 1/8" the

other is flush with the top of the top plate.  Seems that the extended pole piece is a 

refinement to the design.  I don't recall ever seeing an extended pole piece on any other

large advent woofer.