Acoustic Research woofer and mid range driver tests

teknofossil

I don't know if this will be useful to anyone. From earlier conversations on the forum I thought I would post this information. If anything it will help illustrate the differences between some of the AR drivers produced over the years. I must say that I am pretty impressed these mid units seem to have weathered the years rather well. All are labeled. I am surprised the AR91 / AR92 drivers performaed as they did. Many drivers that contain ferro fluid change due to the migration of the oil component, thickening the fluid. I noticed this effect on the Allison midrange units I have and had in my lab. 

-T

AR dome mid AR3a SN1 mfg date 12-15-1972.jpg

AR dome mid AR3a SN2 mfg date 10-03-1969.jpg

AR dome mid AR5 SN1 mfg date 04-23-1973.jpg

AR dome mid AR5 SN2 mfg date  11-04-1972.jpg

AR91 AR92 dome mid PN 200032 SN1.jpg

AR91 AR92 dome mid PN 200032 SN2.jpg

• teknofossil changed the title to Acoustic Research woofer and mid range driver tests

I ran some tests on the (3) AR 12 inch woofers I have. One is the AR1W woofer from my late uncles system, the other two are the P/N 200003 woofers supposedly from a set of AR 91 systems. I replaced the surrounds which were purchased from John at M-Sound not long before he disappeared. Please note the P/N 200003 woofers are not broken in  and I would expect the Fs to decline a bit and possibly some of the other parameter to change as well. Even though I had the surround kits for a few years I only replaced them last year (2021) and have not done anything else with them other than verify they operate (with no rubbing). So a moderate grain of salt should be taken with these test results.

AR 12 in woofer AR1w SN1 mfg date 05-unk-1956..jpg

AR 12 in woofer AR91 PN  200003 mfg date 02-01-1981 SN1.jpg

AR 12 in woofer AR91 PN  200003 mfg date 02-01-1981 SN2.jpg