AR 10PI recap

ande13

Hi all!

I know it's not the first time someone is asking about recapping 10pi speakers but because it's not that simple job to do so I wanted to start a new topic.

There is few photos of my beautiful speakers and I have couple of questions, first of all do I even need to recap my speakers?

I have read the old topics about this issue and someone mentioned that if you have those early models with Sprague compulytic caps you don't nececcary have to change them?

I think I have early model.

By the way I'm from Finland and I bought these speakers from one classic audio shop and these speakers are in really good shape, woofers have been reconed and the seller said that the caps have been checked but I doubt that because there is the original glue in caps and it's quite a big job to take them out just for testing.

And I also wanted to ask about that woofer casket, I have this casket tape that is thicker than the original but not as wide but should I change it?

Thank you! 

Antti

20211113_134915.jpg

20210604_131527.jpg

20220108_224938.jpg

20220121_205335.jpg

20220121_205129.jpg

Very Nice. 

1 hour ago, ande13 said:

Sprague compulytic caps you don't nececcary have to change them?

Thanks to member Carlspeak and others the empirical evidence suggests this is generally true.  I have 3as with Spragues and 3as with new Daytons, both with rebuilt tweeters and lpads. There is no practical difference in the sound. 

If you don't hear a problem now there is no reason to change the caps. 

The narrow tape will work ok. 

Just for the sake of this discussion about (aged) capacitors I measured Industrial Condenser Corp wax block capacitor assemblies that came with the AR3a cabinets (but are apparently for the AR3). Caps that I believe in the AR3a cabinets are Sprague and Industrial Condenser Corp (ICC). Also, I did not record readings for capacitor "goodness" (construction, material, whether wound by a shaman at the summit of Machu Picchu during a blood moon)  Actually I mean ESR and DF. I only tested for the actual value, using the schematic and printed values on the parts. Here is what I found:

ICC Block #1   24uF section      actual= 28.9 uf  

6uF section     actual=   7.0 uF  

ICC Block#2   24uF section      actual=  26.5 uF 

6uF section     actual=   6.47uF

------------------------------------------------------------------

ICC "Royalitic Capacitor Long Life" 150 uF #1  actual= 135.65 uF

ICC "Royalitic Capacitor Long Life" 150 uF #2  actual= 152.49 uF

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sprague "Compulytic 50 uF #1  actual= 52.99 uF

Sprague "Compulytic 50 uF #2  actual= 52.38 uF

-T