AR-3a Cloth Surround Woofer Re-seal?

jnolan5784

Does anyone have any experience with the cloth surround sealant kit for AR-3a woofers? Does it make a difference? They sound good now and am not sure I should do this or if it's worth it. The cloth surround sealant kit is from Vintage AR on eBay. Below is the picture, it may look like the cloth is split in one area but it isn't - that area is black sealant. Just wondering if this made any audible difference. 

AR-3a Woofer Cloth.jpg

13 minutes ago, jnolan5784 said:

Just wondering if this made any audible difference. 

It can make an audible difference if your speaker needs it. More importantly, the product from Vintage AR and member @RoyC is the only sealant for sale that will not cause long term damage to your cloth surround.  It won't hurt to try it.

Do this test: Push the woofer in. It should come back slowly, indicating a good seal. If it springs right back you have an air leak and the most likely culprit is a porous cloth surround. I use Roy’s goo and it can make a tremendous difference 

Since overseas shopping can be too expensive and complicated in our country, some local repairmen are using alternative methods.

They are using glue for catching mice or rats, that is adequately thinned for this purpose.

They say that the basic components in the mice glue and the "real" cloth sealer are the same.

I've never tried it, but this method is maybe worth investigating, as the alternative for the rest of us who do not have access to the fancier stuff.

Here is the example of vintage Tannoy K3809 driver restoration, you'll have to scroll down to the mice glue cloth surround treatment part:

https://www.zenmod.in.rs/another-tannoy-k3809-adventure-read-revitalization-again-3-previous-episodes-cumulative-with-finish/

Another link:

https://www.zenmod.in.rs/tannoy-k3809-hardened-cloth-surround-issue-solved/

I know that this type of glue is forbidden in some countries, because it is a very cruel method for killing mice and rats, but this way at least it can be put to a better use.

Here is the example of the glue they are using:

081.jpg

IMG_0713-1024x805.jpg

IMG_0714-1024x928.jpg

IMG_0716-1024x682.jpg

IMG_0718-1024x682.jpg

IMG_0719-990x1024.jpg

4 hours ago, jnolan5784 said:

Does anyone have any experience with the cloth surround sealant kit for AR-3a woofers? Does it make a difference? They sound good now and am not sure I should do this or if it's worth it. The cloth surround sealant kit is from Vintage AR on eBay. Below is the picture, it may look like the cloth is split in one area but it isn't - that area is black sealant. Just wondering if this made any audible difference.

The AR 12 inch woofer seldom, if ever, requires additional sealant.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, npt3 said:

Roy, is your store still up on eBay?  I was looking to buy some sealant to do some KLH drivers.

Larry ("Vintage_AR") is away for a couple months and has temporarily closed his Ebay store. He recently requested more for early March. At the moment, I have a very small quantity available. Send me a PM...

Roy