Winter AR restoration projects

teknofossil

This winter I hope to get moving along restoring my collection of AR systems. All except my uncles AR-1W (which needs resealing of the surround)  were acquired as partially assembled, mutilated (IE: modified for non AR parts) or as gutted cabinets. . Others are a pairs of AR-3a, AR-5 and three AR2a cabinets. Two of the 3 were mutilated by someone cutting out the upper baffle and attaching pieces of MDF to mount some type of other drivers. My uncles AR-1W baffle had chisel marks above the woofer. I suspect the original grill was removed for some reason, possible woofer replacement. Unfortunately my uncle is not available to ask...

1758778216931103936.jpg

33 minutes ago, teknofossil said:

This winter I hope to get moving along restoring my collection of AR systems.

They will also be mutilated or "tormented" cabinets, but they are between about 50 and more than 60 years old and deserve your care and a new life, you can already see an AR3a woofer and probably an AR5 that want to return to emit their sounds in the right "houses" built and restored for them!

I have a pair of later series 12" woofers, probably 1979 vintage, and a set of 1972 vintage 10" for the AR5. Surrounds replaced  over the last year. I also have the AR2 / 2a woofers read to go in the cabinets. Only the HF drivers need to be found. I do have a set of those tweeters recommended as replacements. Those AR2a cabinets have dates stamped inside, two were made by the same carpenter(!). Those AR3a cabinets which I believe in late production have been painted black. I hope it can be removed. My uncles AR 1W has gnaw marks from my aunts enormous parrot. GOD my uncle disliked that bird. Besides shitting on things it was preferred it didn't that bird also chewed on the large number of acoustic and hybrid Edison record players my uncle had restored. 

5 hours ago, teknofossil said:

enormous parrot

Did the parrot outlive your uncle? If you've inherited that too, be careful, some parrots live nearly a century! Better invest a few dollars and build him a nice and spacious aviary with an old log inside to chew on!

My uncle Ben, Ben Tongue, hadn't mentioned the bird in his last few years. I suspect the parrot had passed or was rehomed after my aunts passing a few years prior to my uncles passing. My uncle inspired me to become involved in electronics and my dad with DIY audio.

I miss them both...

-T

http://web.archive.org/web/20161126141316/http://www.bentongue.com/

3 hours ago, teknofossil said:

My uncle inspired me to become involved in electronics

I clicked the link and saw who your uncle was and what he did ... he was a great man. Beautiful both for his function, but above all for the design that enhances even more the 'Audio Baton' Model B-9, a tube equalizer, marvel of the time!