AR 3a need of changing the capacitors ?

FluAR

On 12/11/2021 at 7:59 AM, FluAR said:

I already tried on one with new PP Dayton, sound has changed a little but not for the better, maybe they need break in ?

Dayton is a low end film cap. Time might help sound better. Do not be afraid to use NPElectrolytics. I believe F&T and Mundorf Ecaps (made by F&T) make caps in Germany . They are a well made NPE. Should you want a bit more detailed high end then add a quality 0.01uF film bypass on each series cap by paralleling them. I did this on my AR90 and 10Pi and I'm very happy with the sound.

Old NPE caps start acting more like a resistor than a capacitor.

I already tried on one with new PP Dayton, sound has changed a little but not for the better, maybe they need break in ?

You can try adding a Dayton 0.01uF (or a 0.10uF) film and foil bypass capacitor across the Dayton PP cap as DavidR suggested in the above post.  @Stimpyrecommended these to me back in 2017.  They made a significant difference when I added them to both the higher-grade Dayton PP caps and the Mundorf E-Caps.  But this was on the AR9 and 90, not one of the classics like the 3a.

If I change some of them I would stay with the original NPE not because the money, only to respect the design and beware the sound signature

they were created. I already tried on one with new PP Dayton, sound has changed a little but not for the better, maybe they need break in ?

The system they were in is a Marantz 7c 8b 

Thanks a lot for some suggestion and your Idea on it, and sorry for asking something that maybe already was discussed before in the forum.

Sincerely

FluAR

The typical reason for dull sounding 3a's is worn tweeters. Playing around with capacitors, much less tiny by-pass caps, will likely be a waste of time and money. Dayton capacitors are a good choice.

Roy