Looking to buy or refurbish a pair of Allison CD6s (Oak)

jpincus

A new contact on AudioKarma recommended that I post my questions here.  I apologize to anyone who also posts on AudioKarma who may see my comments below twice.

My Dad bought me a pair of Allison CD6s when I graduated from high school. They have followed me around the country for 27 years. He died a number of years ago, and I can't bring myself to retire those speakers. The veneer on one of them was damaged at some point when we lived in Los Angeles, and they are starting to sound a bit muffled.

The long and short of it is that I'm looking to replace like for like and/or supplement the aging pair that I have.

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if this kind of post is inappropriate.

Is anyone interested in selling the pair that they have?
Even if you are not selling a pair in good condition, would you know someone who might?
Does anyone know anyone who could restore the speakers I currently own?

Thanks in advance.

The CD 6 remains a unique and highly restorable loudspeaker.

The tweeters could be the biggest challenge if you have a failed one (so rare) but it is the two way that is common to the A4 A5, 6, 7. 

Using EBay or a marketplace of your choosing you could If needed take a tweeter from any of those and use it in yours.

The woofers are conventional enough that they can be restored by any competent speaker repair outfit (like Simply Speakers, etc.

• 1 month later...

I had a nice set listed locally and on USAudioMart for quite a while that was finally sold a few months ago. It was the last of my Allisons, and the one I was most reluctant to see go. (I’d earlier sold a set of Ones - replaced by Revel M22s - and a pair of modified CD-7s.) I’d already done a recap (with reasonably priced Erse caps), which was an improvement on the original.

The CD-6 was a remarkable little box, especially as they did so much “wrong”. The box, being a near perfect cube, just invited internal standing waves. There was no bracing whatsoever, just some stuffing, and a knuckle-test makes it sound like the hollow box it is. And the drivers faced myriad sharp edges, so there was lots of diffraction going on. 

So why did it sound so good? Well, they seem to have gotten a few things right. The requirement for close to wall mounting simplified placement while smoothing out lower/mid bass. That little paper tweeter had surprisingly broad radiation. And that back wall acted as a large reflector, making for a large sound, at the obvious expense of tight imaging.

• 5 months later...