AR-2ax with Sonic Impact T-Amp

Guest dartmouth12

Guest dartmouth12

Wondering what the sensitivity of the AR-2ax's is - 80, 90? Anyone got a number for me? I've ordered a Sonic Impact T-Amp which is fairly low powered and want to know if I'm going to be able to get listenable volumes out of my speakers? Was thinking of spending big bucks on a tube amp but this little T-Amp is getting very good press.

I was leaning towards tube amps because of their softer clipping characteristics compared to transistor amps. A tube amp giving me a better chance of preserving my tweeters (not to mention the improved sound quality).

Anyone know anything about the clipping characteristics of the Sonic Impact T-Amp in case I do get a bit careless?

>Wondering what the sensitivity of the AR-2ax's is - 80, 90?

>Anyone got a number for me? I've ordered a Sonic Impact T-Amp

>which is fairly low powered and want to know if I'm going to

>be able to get listenable volumes out of my speakers? Was

>thinking of spending big bucks on a tube amp but this little

>T-Amp is getting very good press.

>I was leaning towards tube amps because of their softer

>clipping characteristics compared to transistor amps. A tube

>amp giving me a better chance of preserving my tweeters (not

>to mention the improved sound quality).

>Anyone know anything about the clipping characteristics of the

>Sonic Impact T-Amp in case I do get a bit careless?

This wonderful inexpensive (about $30) little amplifier has gotten a lot of great press surprising many people including those who make and sell it. Unfortunately, it does not deliver much power, about 9 or 10 watts per channel before distortion rises steeply. This is just a little too small to get the best out of AR2 series speakers but the good news is that more powerful versions are on their way. The myth of the inherent superiority of vacuum tube amplifiers is exploded once and for all but personally, I have heard many solid state amplifiers I prefer over any vacuum tube amplifier I've ever heard. Perhaps the preference for vacuum tube amplifiers is that their shortcomings compensate for those shrill modern "audiophile" loudspeakers which pervade the market these days.

Archived