Refurbishing OLA beveled walnut cabinets

Andrew055

Looking for some advice on restoring two Beveled walnut cabinets back to their original luster. They have the usual scratches and scrapes but other then that are in good condition. Also the grill clothes are a dark color verses the other pair I own which are more of a linen color. Did Advent actually make a darker color grill cloth?

2021-10-13_15-17-27_474.heic 2021-10-13_15-17-55_997.heic 2021-10-13_15-18-17_249.heic 2021-10-13_15-18-29_474.heic 2021-10-13_15-18-04_641.heic 2021-10-13_15-17-27_474.heic

Andrew

If I may offer a little unsolicited advice: Those huge 2-3MB HEIC pics don't show up. Members have to download them and open them. Best thing is to resize to about 100KB and convert to jpg. I use Photoshop Elements but there are certainly other ways to achieve this. Generally I take my iPhone pics and resize them to about 6" on the long side with a resolution of 100 then save at a quality level of 8. Usually works perfectly.

Kent

Here's what I mean. Your image was 42" x 56" with a resolution of 72. I resized it to 4.5" x 6" with a resolution of 100 and saved it at a quality level of 8. Now instead of 2.17MB it's 105kb.

Edited by JKent
removed photo

Thanks, Kent.

As far as the cabinets, it depends on how deep the scratches are. If they are minor (I haven't seen all the pictures yet) you may get by using Howard's Restore-A-Finish and his Feed and Wax products. I used that on my early Advents that were dried out and they turned out beautifully.

If the scratches are deeper, you will probably have to sand the finish to remove them but be careful you don't sand through the veneer. Then apply a finish of your choice. The original Advent finish is a rubbed oil.

Advent never sold anything but the light-colored grille cloth on them

Doug