Thinking or parting with four AR-11's

Guest utmba95

Guest utmba95

Does anybody have an idea how much they might be worth? Some of the midranges and tweeters were replaced a long time ago from whatever contact I was able to get from whatever was left of AR. Two of them the finish is really good; the other two have some finish damage on the top.

Serial numbers are B12996, B13002, B13006, B13007. I haven't used them in a few years, but all drivers appear to work except one midrange. I also have two of the original midranges that I'm guessing don't work.

Any thoughts on their value are appreciated.

I could be interested in a pair depending on condition and your location.

Can you post photos and advise your location.

THX, Wally

>Does anybody have an idea how much they might be worth? Some

>of the midranges and tweeters were replaced a long time ago

>from whatever contact I was able to get from whatever was left

>of AR. Two of them the finish is really good; the other two

>have some finish damage on the top.

>

>Serial numbers are B12996, B13002, B13006, B13007. I haven't

>used them in a few years, but all drivers appear to work

>except one midrange. I also have two of the original

>midranges that I'm guessing don't work.

>

>Any thoughts on their value are appreciated.

Guest utmba95

Any comments on their value?

I am located in Dallas, TX. If you would like more (and larger) photos, post a request or e-mail me at mike_298@yahoo.com and let me know what size photos or how large of an attachment you can get. I took 3 photos of each and they are each about 1MB before scaling.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/662.jpg

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/663.jpg

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/664.jpg

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/665.jpg

post-101521-1129740612.jpg

post-3-1129740612.jpg

post-3-1129740613.jpg

post-3-1129740614.jpg

These are definitely valuable speakers, particularly to many who frequent this discussion group. I suggest that you do some kind of auction, ebay or otherwise, to get what they are worth. Many will be looking for a good deal but you deserve a fair price.

SteveG

>These are definitely valuable speakers, particularly to many

>who frequent this discussion group. I suggest that you do

>some kind of auction, ebay or otherwise, to get what they are

>worth. Many will be looking for a good deal but you deserve a

>fair price.

>SteveG

Steve, maybe you could explain this horrible situation? What's going on here, those AR-11's look perfect.I see stuff like this going on EBay all the time.. why? I need woofers for my 3a's, but not by killing these 11's. Unless the owner is daff, then I'll take everything!

FM

>Does anybody have an idea how much they might be worth? Some

>of the midranges and tweeters were replaced a long time ago

>from whatever contact I was able to get from whatever was left

>of AR. Two of them the finish is really good; the other two

>have some finish damage on the top.

>

>Serial numbers are B12996, B13002, B13006, B13007. I haven't

>used them in a few years, but all drivers appear to work

>except one midrange. I also have two of the original

>midranges that I'm guessing don't work.

>

>Any thoughts on their value are appreciated.

What's going on here? I gladly buy these speakers from you if the price is right.

Respectfully, Frank Marsi

frankmarsi@verizon.net

>>All of the backs look like this. What is the difference between mine and the ones I've seen that say Teledyne AR?<<

What you have are an excellent set of what we on the forum refer to as “AR-11A” speakers. Even though the SN says AR-11B, we refer to these as “A” models because during its production life AR made major changes to the looks of the AR-11. The “A” model is characterized by brass logos with black letters, the older, AR-3a/LST 200003 woofer frame, black midrange screen with yellow fiberglass, and no diffraction foam around the tweeter. Also, the “Velcro” to hold the foam grills runs completely around the recessed front baffle with the small strip between the woofer and the tweeter.

BTW, even though these are what we refer to as AR-11A’s, yours have the redesigned crossover that consolidated everything onto one board on the back instead of two boards, one on the back and one on the bottom.

The AR-11’s that say "Teledyne Acoustic Research" are what we call “AR-11B” models -- Black logos with silver letters, Velcro “dots” on the front baffle to hold the foam grill, newer version 200003 woofer with silver frame and foam covering mounting flange, SN label on front baffle, Silver screen over midrange with pink fiberglass, and diffraction foam on tweeter.

>>Any comments on their value?<<

Before I comment on their value, let me make some observations, based on what I see in the pictures. Going from top to bottom:

Speaker 1: tweeter looks like it is original. Midrange is a replacement. Woofer is replacement and it looks like an AR/Tonegen woofer.

Speaker 2: Tweeter is replacement –AR-11B version. Midrange and woofer look like they are original. Midrange may be a service replacement unit.

Speaker 3: Tweeter is replacement –AR-11B version. Midrange and woofer look like they are original.

Speaker 4: Tweeter and midrange look like they are original. Woofer is replacement looks like AR-11B version with mounted flange painted black.

You didn’t say if you still have the foam grills. I wouldn’t be surprised that they dry rotted long ago unless you kept them inside plastic bags and boxed up. Please feel free to confirm or refute any of my comments above.

I informally track each pair of AR-11s that come up for auction on eBay. Based on what I see of your AR-11s and what I’ve seen AR-11s go for on e-Bay, my *guess* on what they *MIGHT* fetch at auction is around $200 a pair. A lot depends on condition of the cabinets and if you have eager bidders. The consecutive SN pair could go for more. In fact, if it were possible to swap out drivers so that the consecutive SN pair had all original, working drivers, had very good cabinets, and you had foam grills, you could possibly get $300 or more for the pair. Again a lot depends on who’s bidding. Some people place more value on consecutive SNs.

My value comment (WAGs) do not include packing and shipping charges a buyer would have to pay. If you don’t have the original boxes, these speakers will fit in “Dish Pack” boxes and allow you ample room for protective packing materials to protect the speakers. Dish Pack boxes are usually thicker than standard boxes, which add to protecting the speakers. A buyer would have to figure in the cost to ship two 50 – 55 pound boxes from Dallas to their location.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

>Thanks Rich for the info. Your prices seem awfully low and I

>wouldn't part with them for anything near that.

>

>I also have these original but broken midranges. Do broken

>original mids have any value? Can they be repaired?

>

>

>For offers I can be reached at mike dot harris at xilinx dot

>com.

Hi there;

When you are asking for an opinion of what speakers are worth you should expect a differing opinion.

If they were still factory sealed then you can expect the maximum dollar.

The purchaser would then be expecting factory new, but 25 years old plus old, speakers that no one outside the AR factory has touched or seen.

With used speakers the enclosures condition has a large bearing on the value received.

The drivers must be original to maximize your income, but sometimes OEM replacements are accepted.

Here is an example to show you that there is no rhyme or reason what ebay may net you or anyone else.

There was a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers on ebay a few weeks ago.

When new in 1970, they were sold for around say $75.00 US each.

Here in Vancouver they bottomed out at $52.00 CDN each but there was only 2 pairs available in that store at door opening.

The ones on ebay went for $390.00 US for the pair, I believe, with a lot of bidders.

They usually go for $50 - $125.00 US for a pair but there again at times there is a bidding frenzy.

In fact there was several pairs I was watching that netted less than $125.00 for the pair that same day.

Your AR speakers may bring you in the amount suggested but when you take seveal photos of the cabinet condition and mention drivers that may not work or not be original or no grill cloths, the prices may be at the lower end.

If the bidding is restrictd to the USA, the bidding will be down.

If the bidding is worldwide, then there may be a bidding frenzy.

Ebay is a guideline only and if you want to take little chances have a higher starting bid or reserve.

Good luck with your choices.

ps Broken or non-working mid ranges and tweeters are generally throw aways, with exception to a tinkerer.

I would personally sell them on ebay or to a friend or place them in the wanted/for sale section of this web-site.

>> Your prices seem awfully low and I wouldn't part with them for anything near that.<<

FYI -- The last pair of "AR-11A's" in similar condition to yours, auctioned on e-Bay, sold for $76.00 - for the pair!

If you want to know the "Blue Book" value of your AR-11s (and are will to pay for it) try this web site:

http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/bb.pl?aco...modls&3&4&zz&zz

Rich

Guest utmba95

Again, I appreciate the information. I'm not trying to say they are worth any more than that, just that I had expected them to be worth more since it is a desirable speaker model. I've had these for 15 years and they have some sentimental value.

They have more than sentimental value. However, I have to agree with others here.

What you have are two pair of desirable cabinets. You also have two highly desirable tweeters. The original, working, non-repaired, midranges would be desirable, too. You have a few other great drivers.

All replacement drivers that are not identical to the original drivers are worth very little because they are *not* the same. I've wasted a lot of money discovering that.

So what's a buyer anticipating?

Let's take just one speaker as an example - let's take a cabinet with an original (no foam) tweeter and everything else a "replacement." In order to get these to sound "right" and therefore amazing, we have to go shopping for missing original parts. All parts have to be original and not merely functional but also functioning close to correctly and close to each-other.

An old midrange might cost $50-90. Let's say $50.

A "correct" woofer is going to take a while to find and with bad foam will probably cost $35-50. Having that repaired correctly will probably cost in the range of $60 including shipping; so let's call the woofer $100 complete.

A new foam grill will cost about $35 + shipping of about $4.00, just for fun let's call it $40.

Then, as you can read elsewhere on this site, the "safe" thing to do (safe because an aging capacitor endangers rare-ish drivers, also sounds great) is to replace the capacitors. That's going to run you something like $75 or $120 depending on how much you believe capacitor rhetoric or how good your hearing is. Let's call it $75. You can do it cheaper, but this is definitely a "bang-for-the-buck" repair where lowest-priced option is not near the point of diminishing returns.

That means that one speaker, reclaimed correctly, needs $250+ of repair and that doesn't include any cabinet work, re-wiring, replacing switches, etc. as needed.

Now, add-in what someone would have to pay just to get the cabinet and tweeter shipped to them . . .

My personal opinion is that if you want a pair of speakers then putting $500 in a pair of AR-11s isn't a bad deal. They do sound good; amazingly good for a 30 year old pair of speakers and compared to anything you can buy commercially for anywhere near the same money I think they are great. But they have weaknesses, too (chiefly design errors and aging drivers)

But obviously, if the buyer is going to have to put $500 +/- $100 into a pair, they can't give you $400 for the pair as they sit or they will have almost $1,000 in them by the time it is all over.

But excellent examples with all original drivers and barely a scratch might sell for $400-$500/pair if you found a buyer hot for a pair.

Of course, you might get $600 or $300.

Since they have sentimental value to you, my suggestion would be to hang-out here, get advice from those (one guy in particular) who has been there and done that and "put 'em back the way they was," then enjoy them for another 30 years.

Bret

Bret--

Great post. You put into words all the things we take into consideration when I we evaluate AR-11s. I agree with almost everything you said.

For the sake of discussion only -- I believe you would have to have a VERY motivated buyer to get $400+ for a pair of absolutely mint condition AR-11's, and they would have to be “AR-11B’s.” Now, if we were discussing a pair of mint condition AR-10pi’s, I would agree, and I believe Audiogon and e-Bay sales history would support, expectations of $300 - $500.

Mike,

I’m probably one of the biggest fans of the AR-11 on this forum. I LOVE this speaker, so I completely understand your having a sentimental attachment to them. Unfortunately for you and me, sentimental value has no monetary value to a buyer. Like you, my AR-11's are worth much more to me than probably any buyer would be willing to pay for them.

I second Bret’s suggestion to hang on to them and either enjoy them as they are or restore them to as close to original condition as you possibly can.

If you decide to restore, one way to recoup some of your restoration expense is to sell the working, non-original drivers after you have purchased and installed “original” replacements.

I hope your sentimental attachment to your AR-11's is strong enough that you would never consider parting them out and selling the parts – or selling them to someone who will part them out. Too many “flea-Bayers” are doing that.

Rich

Rich,

I connect with all your comments. I have 2 pair of 11B's and love them. Both bought from ebay in last 10 years. While I love the warmth of the 3a's and and even the 5's I have, and would never part with the LST's, I have the 11B's in often used places and enjoy them greatly. These are an incredible bargain.

SteveG

I've been enlarging the pictures you posted.

I think I was wrong.

It looks to me like you are one midrange, one woofer, four grills, and a dozen capacitors away from having four great speakers.

The "replacement" tweeters are either identical or virtually-so to the originals. These are "AR" tweeters and not aftermarket replacements.

The one replacement woofer does really *have* to go.

You're talking $150 for the grills (delivered), $450 for the caps (good ones), and about $100 for the woofer, possibly less. That's $700.00 and at the very top of what these would probably sell-for. But that's cheap for the sound you'd have.

Are you going to keep them or get rid of them, or have you decided?

I've got a working, original, midrange if you are trying to find just one for sale.

Bret

• 2 weeks later...
Guest utmba95

Thanks for the new info. That jives better with my memory of what has changed.

I also remembered that the midranges that I thought were broken actually aren't. When it took me forever to get replacement parts, I went ahead and bought two mids to replace the originals that had been reworked by the original owner. I plugged them in and they work, but they are ugly. The original owner, like me, was an electrical engineer, and he must have done some repair work on them.

I haven't decided yet what to do with them. I'm busy with way too many things right now. I've posted larger pictures at these links if anybody is interested. Also - and I realize this is probably pretty uncool for a classic speaker - but I do have grills that I made from small wood quarter round covered in acoustic fabric. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~michaelharris05/DSCN1573.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~michaelharris05/DSCN1576.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~michaelharris05/DSCN1579.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~michaelharris05/DSCN1582.JPG

Archived