I have Allison 130's here... Rare? Any info appreciated...

ShadowGoat

Hello,  First time newbie here.  I have some unusual speakers that I can't even find an accurate photo of online. I have resurrected a pair of Allison 130's that are in great shape. I replaced one of the mid's with an Allison One midrange, and it worked - sounds great! I gently crimped terminal plugs to the wires and carefully fed them around the port without severing that fragile, string-like, wire.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen these with the narrow, 7 3/4", cabinets? The midrange I took out is stamped June, 1987.  Check out the photos and thanks for any help. I don't know if I'm going to keep them or sell them yet.

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5545.jpg

IMG_6074.jpg

IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6077.jpg

IMG_6078.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

Sure! That’s the predecessor to the AL 130. I’ll post some pics later when I have them handy.

The AL 130 has a 4 driver 3 way configuration with dual push pull woofers and the same basic mids and tweets as in the 130.

Too bad those drivers are pretty mashed in…..typical average condition of these old guys unfortunately.

20 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Thanks for the response. I’ve decided to sell these. Would anyone on here be interested?

Best of luck to you. You’re starting price IMHO (Ebay) is High by 500.00.

You can get some tips and advice from here if you’re serious about unloading them…also looks like a missing screw on one midrange. Am I seeing that correctly?

Yes, one of the the threads came out with the screw, unfortunately. I had no idea what these are worth since I couldn’t even find a photo of them, let alone a sold listing. I’ve lowered the price and will lower it again, but I’m fine keeping them too. They do sound very nice. I like how the soundstage is vertical/elevated over my stereo - recessed but in a smooth, non-fatiguing way. My Klipsch are more low and in front. Anyway, thanks!

3 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Yes, one of the the threads came out with the screw, unfortunately. I had no idea what these are worth since I couldn’t even find a photo of them, let alone a sold listing. I’ve lowered the price and will lower it again, but I’m fine keeping them too. They do sound very nice. I like how the soundstage is vertical/elevated over my stereo - recessed but in a smooth, non-fatiguing way. My Klipsch are more low and in front. Anyway, thanks!

Listening without fatigue is an “Allison Trademark” so to speak!

First off, I would keep them, if I were you….

They’ve got problems, but the good news is only six drivers.

With only 2 tweeters, restoration and maintenance is less daunting then the Allison’s with multiple driver arrays. Usable, viable Allison drivers have never been tougher to come up with than today.

A proper seal of the cabinet is essential to optimum bass response. That’s why the missing midrange hardware is so important. The midrange doesn’t rely on the internal airspace of the cabinet because it’s a pulsating dome and sealed to the outside, but the woofer does.

I would bet the farm that if you take the woofer out of that cabinet and fish around on the bottom, you will find the threaded “T nut” that holds the machine screw for the midrange driver. It may even be stuck on the woofer magnet 🧲 when it pushed out. Plastic wood can restore the area where the T nut goes, or Home Depot actually carries them.

Tweeters still work? Mashed.

If they do, there are little tricks to subtly pull the domes out to be reasonable esthetically. You can pull out gently with a piece of tape, or pierce it with a needle, and pull out gently then seal it with a spot of glue.

Thanks for the tips. My wife wants me to keep them as well. There’s just these Bozaks I’m looking at… haha 

I actually have the t nut and screw, somewhere, and could probably repair it. 
The tweeters work. They are the kind with the paper covers, dimpled. The paper was a little torn on one when I got them. I thought they were usually dimpled like that? They’re working ok I guess (who knows about the ferrofluid), but I had to get used to their sound since I was so used to Klipsch. I was like; “Oh, that’s what other tweeters sound like”

Thanks again. 

On 10/12/2021 at 5:12 AM, ShadowGoat said:

Thanks for the tips. My wife wants me to keep them as well. There’s just these Bozaks I’m looking at… haha 

I actually have the t nut and screw, somewhere, and could probably repair it. 
The tweeters work. They are the kind with the paper covers, dimpled. The paper was a little torn on one when I got them. I thought they were usually dimpled like that? They’re working ok I guess (who knows about the ferrofluid), but I had to get used to their sound since I was so used to Klipsch. I was like; “Oh, that’s what other tweeters sound like”

Thanks again. 

2C5BABD4-ED71-44EC-9110-30EC9A296A36.thumb.jpeg.bc15494b979eb9565186dffc74cce553.jpegAs a serious collector, it took years to come up with undimpled/ un damaged domed drivers. This is the remaining one of two I bought years ago. The other went out with my original Allison Ones sold off in 2012.

• 1 year later...

I wonder what the backstory on this unique (or close to it) / prototype? unit is, because the LC130 as widely produced is a 2-way design in walnut vinyl 

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/allison/other/allison_speakers_in_1983_an/allison_speakers_in_1983.html

Not really anything to do w the AL130 except the same mid and tweet, which is the case w every Allison or RDL ever made 

1 hour ago, davidrmoran said:

I wonder what the backstory on this unique (or close to it) / prototype? unit is, because the LC130 as widely produced is a 2-way design in walnut vinyl 

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/allison/other/allison_speakers_in_1983_an/allison_speakers_in_1983.html

Not really anything to do w the AL130 except the same mid and tweet, which is the case w every Allison or RDL ever made 

That’s very interesting… When originally I posted on this topic, I didn’t look carefully at the picture and assumed it was the original Allison 2 way 130 (sans mid). probably something like you said… Prototype or available only from a dealer? A few months ago I challenged a guy (retired dealer) overseas who was selling an old pair of speakers with the Allison name on them. turned out after some homework….. The guy was on the level and apparently those speakers were built overseas and never saw the light of day here in the US. 

• 4 months later...