KLH Twenty One restoration

npt3

7 hours ago, RoyC said:

I recently worked on a KLH 21. The driver's suspension was quite worn and very porous, and there was some distortion at moderate volume levels. Normally I would not suggest using it, but in this case it seemed beneficial. If you have some available, it will not hurt its performance to brush some on the surround.

Roy

Thanks Roy.  I inspected the driver surround on this unit, and it looked as perfect as a 55 year old speaker could - and I couldn’t detect any sonic defects, so I left it as is.  This one’s become my office radio, so I can keep an ear out for trouble if it ever develops.  Saving the goo for future imminent projects. :)

I remain pleasantly astonished at how robustly built and cleverly engineered the KLH and AR products were, to last so long and be so easy to fix/maintain.  (I remember spending lots of time listening to music with some girls on my floor in college who had a KLH 24 system. Good times. :))