KLH Twenty One restoration

npt3

So, I was at Brimfield yesterday and found a Twenty One in not-bad-at-all condition (excellent cosmetics on the front panel, grille cloth, dial and knobs, veneer quite restorable), so for $40 I thought it was a good pickup.  I was told it doesn't power up, and by gum it doesn't (the fuse doesn't look blown, though), so I'll get to work on it for my late summer project!

I think JKent is quite experienced with the 21, but if anyone has some tips of the "low-hanging fruit" variety, feel free to share.

Nice radio but full disclosure: I don't have a lot of technical expertise. I just bought one in similar condition--nice cosmetics but not working. Mine's a 21/II. I replaced a dried out power cord and the 2000uF filter cap but still no go, so it's off to Tim at Bristol Electronics. He'll have it good-as-new.

btw, don't just go by appearance on that fuse. Check the continuity. Good luck and keep us posted.

Kent

"Before" it was filthy, grille cloth was faded, cord was stiff and a knob was missing. Pretty now but needs work.....

1 resized.jpg

21-II_resized.jpg