Connecting 4 speakers to a receiver

6 minutes ago, Russell Irving said:

So my guess would be to purchase a new receiver or smaller speakers. And what receiver could carry all 4 at the same time?

If 4 AR3as then not many receivers.  Find one that is rated to operate continuously at 2 ohms. 

A receiver or amplifier that supports 2 ohm loads can safely handle ONE pair of AR-3as at high volumes. For two pairs together, what you want is either a receiver with a pre out connection and a second power amplifier, or better, a preamp and two power amplifiers.

Many amplifiers and even some receivers rated at 4 ohms can safely handle 2 ohm loads even if they are not rated for them. If the manufacturer is still in business, contact their tech support and ask.

48 minutes ago, genek said:

A receiver or amplifier that supports 2 ohm loads can safely handle ONE pair of AR-3as at high volumes. For two pairs together, what you want is either a receiver with a pre out connection and a second power amplifier, or better, a preamp and two power amplifiers.

Many amplifiers and even some receivers rated at 4 ohms can safely handle 2 ohm loads even if they are not rated for them. If the manufacturer is still in business, contact their tech support and ask.

The MAC 4100 is equipped to drive up to 3 pairs of 8 ohm speakers, so it can safely handle 2 ohm loads. I had one and used it often to drive a pair of AR3's stacked with a pair of 3a's without issue. It never got warm.  I now use a McIntosh MC2300 which gets down to 1/2 ohm if necessary.

I'm sure that MAC4100 and later receivers could probably do the job, but considering that Russell started out asking about a receiver that typically sells for under $150 on eBay I doubt that anything McIntosh is on his list of potential receiver choices.

11 minutes ago, genek said:

I'm sure that MAC4100 and later receivers could probably do the job, but considering that Russell started out asking about a receiver that typically sells for under $150 on eBay I doubt that anything McIntosh is on his list of potential receiver choices.

Not to nitpick, but while his original question concerned his present receiver he didn't indicate a price constraint for his followup question. He asked "What receiver could carry all 4 at the same time?". 

Maybe he'll be back to clarify.

Duh. It just occurred to me that the receiver Russell mentioned is a 5.1 HT unit. If he's asking if it can run 4 3a's one speaker per channel, the answer may not be as dire as we thought. Although the unit is only rated for 8 and 6 ohms, if he doesn't turn the volume up high enough to clip the signal or trigger the amplifier protection circuits he may still be able to use it with 4 ohm speakers.

https://support.denon.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/58/session/L3RpbWUvMTYyMjU3Mjg0Mi9zaWQvZlVHWU1RRktyQWl1aDM3X2t3TVNqcWhtSVpTaVJ2Vl9IMkUxYUklN0VfbmhKTWpwaW1XMTRnWFdPaGJxZXViYVBxZXI4SjJRS25MeDg5aWJKQXloY0slN0VKdEt2Q3VqRjJWS0M3T1pxMzFBY3Yyc05jUER0ZlBHUGhIQSUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

Russell,

The Lexicon RV8, which is long out of production, will safely handle four AR3a's.   It is specified down to 2 ohms each channel with 7 channels driven.  I currently drive two AR9's, two AR90's, an AR915 and two Boston A70's (for good measure as the rear channels.). The Lexicon beast handles them all gracefully even at high volumes.  Here is one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174695786607?hash=item28acae286f:g:PVUAAOSwAEBgVnge

The newer Lexicon RV9 has a 4 ohm rating into multiple channels, but I have no experience with it.  It is currently on sale, reduced from $6000 to $3600.  That is still a big chunk of change.

Good luck.