AR 3A Grill Cloth?

DonT

On 1/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, zcon67 said:

The fabric I've been using is a 100% linen with a 19 and 20 thread count.  Starts very light but soon mellows down.  Could be tea stained.  I remember my first pr. of fives out of the box were very light so I left it as is.   If you look at this online it does not show well.  It is ILO41 at fabrics-store.com.

PeteZ000_0254.thumb.JPG.3cd99485cb306580eb7005ef538b2486.JPG

000_0255.JPG

Thanks for this info!

Did you purchase the “OATMEAL?”

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mot, 

I used the first one, bleached, thinking it would darken in time like the other fabric used by AR.  Luckily it did, but it took a few years.  Looks great now.  I haven't tried to tea stain any fabric.  This was bright when purchased.

PeteZ   

Some good leads here. Gene, I'd like to know if you've made any more progress in your quest. zcon's looks good too. he Cork 20-count from England looks too white to me although it could be tea dyed.

Speaking of tea dyed, I've used this https://www.michaels.com/charles-craft-28ct-irish-linen-needlework-fabric/10357706.html  It's inexpensive. Michael's used to have 40% off coupons routinely but now they're just 20% Even so, inexpensive. It's 28 count but very light weight. Called "Irish Linen" and although it used to be made in Ireland or Northern Ireland it's now imported from Poland. There can be a lot of variability in the color so it's best to go to the store and look at several packages. I've used it on a couple of different speakers.

To give an idea, here are some examples:

1. AR-4x
  2. AR-7
  3. KLH 33
  4. Rectilinear Mini III
  5. Rompicollo (a DIY designed by Johnny Richards that I wanted to look like a classic KLH speaker)

AR4x.jpg

AR7.jpg

KLH 33.jpg

Mini III.jpg

Rompicollo.jpg

I ordered a yard of my best pick from Ulster Linen. It arrived this week and if I can figure out what I did with my staplegun (which I haven't seen since before we packed up to move to Portland eight years ago!) I have a spare pair of 3a frame boards I can mount it to.

It's undyed, unbleached natural flax linen. We figured out a while back that it's 20ct. Here's what the loose yardage looks like.

PXL_20220202_000535205.jpg

On 2/1/2022 at 10:57 PM, JKent said:

DIY designed by Johnny Richards that I wanted to look like a classic KLH speaker

Jeff, I see (I'm not sure, the photo is small and not big the resolution) a custom label showing JKH, very, very well your signature on the grille of this project !!

1 hour ago, Giorgio AR said:

Jeff, I see (I'm not sure, the photo is small and not big the resolution) a custom label showing JKH, very, very well your signature on the grille of this project !!

Yeah. Kind of a conceit I guess. "Vanity plates" 😉

Kent (not Jeff)

JKH logo resized.jpg

13 hours ago, JKent said:

Kent (not Jeff)

Sorry Kent, I was confused when I wrote, the suffix J distracted me ... still very beautiful and characterizing your label!
A good listening and good weekend,

Giorgio

On 2/1/2022 at 7:16 PM, genek said:

I ordered a yard of my best pick from Ulster Linen. It arrived this week and if I can figure out what I did with my staplegun (which I haven't seen since before we packed up to move to Portland eight years ago!) I have a spare pair of 3a frame boards I can mount it to.

It's undyed, unbleached natural flax linen. We figured out a while back that it's 20ct. Here's what the loose yardage looks like.

Genek, this fabric looks great!  Do you have a link?  I've been to the Ulster site but can't find this fabric after trying to sift through the choices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why does it look tea colored on the right?  Is the left the color as sent to you?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took a closer look at the Ulster medium weight natural and it looks from the

pictures to be very close to Advent cloth color, but the thread count is too high,

and the typical AR cloth looks even better.  I ordered one yard to see it in person

and to count the TPI.

Edit:  This arrived and I count the TPI at 25 which is far too high for Advent grills.

It is fairly open weave but not as good as the 18 TPI Irish Linen from 123Stitch,

or the 19 TPI (IL041 Oatmeal) from Fabric Store.com.

I did two grills many years ago with the Irish linen from 123Stitch and have them

here to compare.  The other fabrics are not mounted but the Irish linen looks best

then, the 19 TPI, and lastly the 25 TPI from Ulster.

Ulster does not provide TPI for many of their fabrics so it is difficult to determine

which material is best.

One more note on the IL041 19TPI is that the threads are very fine making it a very

open weave.  I will probably use this for all my speaker restorations that call for a

white/natural fabric.  It is the best I've found so far.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:11 PM, genek said:

The 2ax's I bought new in 1975 had a finer grill cloth than most of the earlier ARs I've seen, including the early 6s I used to have.

Here's a scan of some AR fabric, year unknown, and a ruler. My old eyes aren't up to counting the threads, but if anyone else wants to give it a shot...CCF.jpg

I count about 24 maybe 25 TPI, thanks for the picture.  I don't like the look of such a high TPI but it is what it is.

I also ordered this linen (Y0400NT036) from Ulster, it arrived today and I count 24-25 TPI not 20, not sure if

it varies from batch to batch since they do not quote a number for TPI, or what might have caused the change.

I like a more coarse and open weave so I'll only use this with speakers I'm certain had a higher thread count. 

Perhaps Dyna A-25 s.

I called Ulster yesterday to ask about thread count at about 5:30 PM, a lady answered and

very abruptly said what's your name I'll call you back.  Gave it a 50/50 that she'd call back.

She called this morning and I asked her about thread count, she finally said that the

Y0400NT036  36" wide material was in fact closer to 25 TPI, and that

Y0400NT060  60" wide material was around 20 TPI

She also said that the 36" wide material was slightly lighter in color than the 60" wide.

So you can get 20 or 25 TPI depending on what you need, of course call to confirm that

the thread counts have not changed.

I might order 1 yard of the 60" wide material to see if I like it more than the IL041 from 

fabric-store.com.