My collection of Ar

giovanni56

11 hours ago, Giorgio AR said:

Giovanni, piccola panoramica AR: quante coppie ci sono, c'è qualcuno che darà il numero giusto?
Frankmarsi, questa foto è apposta per te!905337437_20210506_1736021.thumb.jpg.816409c8e4a4ce28538fc6a41590ce8a.jpg
At least seven pairs, did you also purchase the Ar7, just the case without driver and filter?

On 5/13/2021 at 2:08 AM, Giorgio AR said:

Giovanni, small overview AR: how many pairs are there, is there someone who will give the right number?
Frankmarsi, this photo is especially for you!905337437_20210506_1736021.thumb.jpg.816409c8e4a4ce28538fc6a41590ce8a.jpg

Grazie molto e' tante piacere. At this point I only have three pairs of AR-LST,One pair of AR-9, three pairs of AR-3a, and two pairs of AR-2ax. And this collection goes back to originally purchased AR-3a's in 1971. Last purchase was made in 2014 to get those AR-9's which I had wanted since they debuted in '78-'79. I find myself spending most time with the double AR-LST's.

5.21Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 5.36.13 PM copy.jpg

Hi Frankmarsi, I'm glad your answer.
Your AR tovers give you the music you want, even my ARs!
But I have to ask you a question: in which position of the spectral balance do you listen? Personally I use position 5 or 6 to attenuate the high range and bring the sound of the AR LST closer to that of the AR3a that I like best. I also listened with the spectral balance in the flat position, the 2 but the sound is not satisfactory, too bright for my taste. In over 40 years of listening to AR speakers you have surely found the balance of sound with your ARs.

Ciao

Giorgio.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:15 AM, Giorgio AR said:

Hi Frankmarsi, I'm glad your answer.
Your AR tovers give you the music you want, even my ARs!
But I have to ask you a question: in which position of the spectral balance do you listen? Personally I use position 5 or 6 to attenuate the high range and bring the sound of the AR LST closer to that of the AR3a that I like best. I also listened with the spectral balance in the flat position, the 2 but the sound is not satisfactory, too bright for my taste. In over 40 years of listening to AR speakers you have surely found the balance of sound with your ARs.

Ciao

Giorgio.

The number ‘2’ setting is noted by “AR” as being ‘flat’ or neutral, the lower settings like ‘1’ present reduced ‘highs’ and ‘lows’. The higher numbered settings present a very slight elevation of both highs and lows. All settings only affect highs and lows and do not affect the mids. I set mine at # 2 as i find i rely on tone controls and my up-stream/input devices. Current higher quality cartridges are more alive sounding, and because of this are more, realistic sounding. If we go back in time and see the differences of the mainstream choices, it was either the muted east coast sound or the brighter west coast sound, the west won. The amplifiers and pre-amp I use are more alive than most others and is a hallmark of their sound, ask anyone who correctly uses them. In any event, the ‘LST’ settings will be room dependent and the components inline in front of them.

Anyway, positions 3, 4, and 5 only add a subtle amount of bass and highs. Similar arrangement in the AR-10. I chose to place my LST’s located against the front wall as is commonly accepted as the best. I've tried away from the wall and the bass suffered as did directionality.

Using a ‘SAE-1800’ parametric-equalizer and the pre-amp’s tone controls I can bring-up the highs substantially enough to have a natural and pleasing response. As a plus, my pre-amp’s tone controls solely adjust the top-end or upper-edges of the frequencies they control. Although both the 3a and LST are voiced to portray a similar sound, the LST have more of all of the best qualities of the 3a. LST’s afford a wider and bigger spread of the sound-field and convey an almost omni-directional sound if they and the room is set-up correctly. They allow for a big-sound and with the correct wattage can pressurize a room very easily.

I’ve been listening intensively/critically to AR speakers for 50 years, (I find that amazing myself) and intend to do so per cento-anni.