Repairs for AR94

Guest daltoni

Guest daltoni

My AR94's, which I've had for more than 20 years, are badly in need of new foam surrounds. I've searched the forum and the Web, and I've been unable to locate a source for repair kits for the 8" woofers.

Could someone suggest a source? Even better if anyone knows of someone in the San Francisco Bay Area who does this kind of work...

Guest sitlerd

There are several different versions of the AR94. The older ones used higher quality drivers. These have larger rear vented voice coils with a felt plug located over the voice coil to seal it. The felt plug makes the re-foaming process a little more difficult. The normal dust cap was then added just for cosmetics. The newer version like the AR94sx do not have the felt plug. I do re-foaming and have worked on several 94’s. If you can not find anyone local, I have the parts and can recondition the speakers for you. I am on the east coast, so you would have to remove the drivers and ship them…

I just did a set of AR94R’s for a local client, including changing all the crossover caps. They sounded great.

Guest hilltroll67

Parts Express sells a surround repair kit for 8" drivers that worked well for my AR94Sx. Note that the kit contains 4 surrounds of 2 different types. One of these types (the glue edges are different) is a better fit than the other, but either type works. Dust caps are included, but thay are the 'standard' type, whereas the 94Sx uses screen type dust caps. The spiders on my drivers were stiff enough to hold the cones centered, so I didn't replace the dust caps.

Bob

Archived