Ads l1290

Bogden

I bought a pair of L1290/2s sometime in late 2019 or early 2020, before the pandemic. They were in good cosmetic condition but lacked grilles.  One of the mids was damaged.  While researching the purchase I came across refrerences to, and positive remarks about, Richard So and his repair service.

The speakers souded good, or so I thought, but eventually I decided to have the damaged mid and tweeter from the same cabinet rebuilt.  So I took them out - not easy, but not hard, following his guidance -  packed them up carefully and sent them off.  They were back in about 10 days.

Doing one side at a time allowed an A/B comparison. 

They came back looking like new.  The difference in sound quality was very significant.   Louder and better defined.   I am sure there are a multitude of audiophile adjectives I could  use here but I will just say they were significanly improved.  I have since had the other speaker mid and tweeter done (3 weeks ago) with the same results.

Cost was about $125 per side, including Priority Mail shipping between AZ and MA.

There was a problem with one tweeter after repair.  It sounded blown.  I sent it back and it was fixed for free and returned in a week.  He sent a video of it playing on his bench before shipping it back.

Richard is not a great communicator, but he seems to do good work and stands by it.  I don't know know what other options exist for having these drivers rebuilt or repaired.

Hope that helps!

Tim

I have not yet done anything with the crossovers.  I don't have a reason to think they need work, beyond their age.

On a related note (ha ha), I am in the middle of a bi-amp experiment, which I will describe in the 'bi-amping the big ADS' thread, probably later this week.

I've also come up with an OK solution for the grilles, which I can also describe separately.

Good luck with your repairs!

Tim

21 hours ago, TD1 said:

I have not yet done anything with the crossovers.  I don't have a reason to think they need work, beyond their age.

On a related note (ha ha), I am in the middle of a bi-amp experiment, which I will describe in the 'bi-amping the big ADS' thread, probably later this week.

I've also come up with an OK solution for the grilles, which I can also describe separately.

Good luck with your repairs!

Tim

I made these grills,cost me 15 for the fabric,used 3/4” wood frame and velcro 

DB9F3CD1-79E1-425C-8B48-3AF240706421.jpeg

Nice job on the grilles!  I have been thinking about making a set out of wood (spruce or basswood) and fabric.  i would like to retain the original mounts but that isn't strictly required.

Could you provide a bit more detail on what you did to refinish them?

Thanks!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 6:18 AM, TD1 said:

Nice job on the grilles!  I have been thinking about making a set out of wood (spruce or basswood) and fabric.  i would like to retain the original mounts but that isn't strictly required.

Could you provide a bit more detail on what you did to refinish them?

Thanks!

Tim

I sanded with 220 than 100 watch the edges as easy to go through veneer. I use watco danish oil stain on all my refinishes. This is light walnut