Help with testing AR1

Joe Perry

Hello, I have two AR1/AR-1 speakers that I would like to test and find out if they work.  They have not been used in probably 40 years (I'm 78).  Attached is a photo of the back of the speakerboxes, and I honestly forget which terminals are which.  Home audio is not my specialty, and I've had these for a long time. 

I'll be using a 30watt output Pioneer receiver.  Other than the wire configuration, please let me know if there are other tips or tricks I should know as I test them.  Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Regards,

Joe 

IMGP4358.JPG

IMGP4357.JPG

Hello Joe,

To check for operation, connect your speaker wire to terminals 1 and 3. Normally, there would be a jumper between terminals 1 and 2 for 4-ohm operation, without the jumper, the speaker is 8 ohms, which is likely better suited to your Pioneer receiver.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 6:35 AM, JeffS said:

Hello Joe,

To check for operation, connect your speaker wire to terminals 1 and 3. Normally, there would be a jumper between terminals 1 and 2 for 4-ohm operation, without the jumper, the speaker is 8 ohms, which is likely better suited to your Pioneer receiver.

Thank you very much, I was able to test them and they work great.  I really appreciate your help.  Now I need to look into shipping methods and practices for something like these. 

Regards,

Joe

Hello Joe,

Sorry for the late reply.

Since you're going to look into shipping methods for these, you probably already know of their collectible value.

As for packaging, you should double box these, with cardboard or foam spacers between the boxes, to ensure that the cabinet corners aren't damaged.