AR-6 Tweet

Guest ldone

The AR-6 was the first model to use this tweeter, but it found its way into several more. The AR-7, 8, and MST/1 all used this tweeter. After it was upgraded with ferro-fluid cooling, it was used in many subsequent 2-way models, including the very successful 18 series of models.

It was, in the opinion of many, the best cone tweeter ever developed for a 2-way loudspeaker in terms of smooth FR, wide dispersion and power handling.

Another "very famous and well-known" NE speaker company wanted to manufacture this tweeter under licence from AR for use in their speakers, but the two companies never reached an agreement. There were some technical issues and, quite possibly, some corporate ego issues as well.

Steve F.

>The AR-6 was the first model to use this tweeter, but it

>found its way into several more. The AR-7, 8, and MST/1 all

>used this tweeter. After it was upgraded with ferro-fluid

>cooling, it was used in many subsequent 2-way models,

>including the very successful 18 series of models.

>

>It was, in the opinion of many, the best cone tweeter ever

>developed for a 2-way loudspeaker in terms of smooth FR, wide

>dispersion and power handling.

>

>Another "very famous and well-known" NE speaker company wanted

>to manufacture this tweeter under licence from AR for use in

>their speakers, but the two companies never reached an

>agreement. There were some technical issues and, quite

>possibly, some corporate ego issues as well.

>

>Steve F.

This is a great point made by Steve F. It is interesting to see how the later Allison Acoustics "nipple" tweeter (so-named because of the tiny nipple-shaped dust cap at the apex of the small cone tweeter) used in all the Allison speakers, somewhat evolved from this 1-1/4-inch AR-6 tweeter design -- both the work of Roy Allison. In the Allison tweeter, the cone was allowed to flex in a controlled, asymmetrical manner from the apex to the rim, and thus the tweeter had an extraordinarily wide dispersion pattern -- easily the widest dispersion of any conventional tweeter ever made.

--Tom Tyson

> After it was upgraded with ferro-fluid

>cooling, it was used in many subsequent 2-way models,

>including the very successful 18 series of models.

Steve: Do I assume you mean the AR-18, -18s and -18b ? I presume you are not including the 18bx and 18bxi. I thought they used an inexpensive 1" tweeter.

Yes, the x and xi models were a different animals altogether--much larger cabinet than previous 18's and the cheap 1" tweeter instead of the excellent 1 1/4" cone.

The x and xi series were not exactly high water marks in AR's history.

The company redeemed themselves somewhat with the TSW's, but then hit the skids again with the M Series and the Spirit Series.

Steve F.

Yes, the 93 and 94 used this tweeter also, the ferro-fluid cooled version. Also some other models, like the Rock Partners, and I'm sure a few more if we go back and look at every model.

The 93 and 94 were very nice-sounding speakers.

Steve F.

Interesting.... I've read here about the compromises that went into

those BX and BXi series speakers, but my impression was that the

odd looking M-series holographic imaging speakers was fairly well

regarded (if a blatant departure from traditional AR engineering philosophy). WAsn't the little M1 one of those "budget sleepers" made famous by some ultra-high-end demo?

"...but my impression was that the odd looking M-series holographic imaging speakers was fairly well regarded (if a blatant departure from traditional AR engineering philosophy). WAsn't the little M1 one of those "budget sleepers" made famous by some ultra-high-end demo?"

Yes, the M1 did receive some very good reviews and the M6 won a tower speaker shootout in the now-defunct CD Review magazine. I think my negative feelings towards them stems from the fact that their gimmicky, call-attention-to-themselves styling and design approach seemed so arbitrary and disingenuous--the very antithesis of the classic AR speakers.

They were also such forgettable, abysmal sales/marketing failures. It would be like extolling the engineering virtues of the Ford Edsel to regard the Holographic Imaging series as anything but an embarrassment--at least in my view.

Steve F.

Archived