Is there any reason to believe these are not original AR-3 speakers?

Skeer27

15 minutes ago, Aadams said:

The cabinets are definitely AR or incredible copies and the drivers that you show are AR3.  I would want to see the drivers in the other cab before I purchased the pair.

Thank you very much for your reply.  The other front of the cabinet is nailed in the frame.  Do I just pull the nails out to open it.  Sorry I am far from an expert.

1 minute ago, RoyC said:

They are original. The front molding/trim has been removed from one of the cabinets. The potential buyer will have much more to deal with other than beat up cabinets.

Roy

Thank you for the information.  Are you seeing other issues.  I don't know what type of working conditions these are in(might be bad by your response)

1 minute ago, Skeer27 said:

Thank you for the information.  Are you seeing other issues.  I don't know what type of working conditions these are in(might be bad by your response)

To answer your first question, the trim piece is not meant to be removed. The grill snaps out of a groove under it. Assuming the other speaker looks like the one in your photo after removing the grill, you can be reasonably sure all the essential parts are present. Other than that, connect them to a system to see if they make some sound. If potential buyers are not able to identify these as original they are probably not the best candidates to purchase them.

There is much written in this forum regarding the restoration of these speakers. You can get an idea of what is involved by taking a peek at the forum's Library as well as using the forum's search feature.  http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/

Roy

You should check around your parents' house to see if the removed face frame is laying about somewhere. Otherwise, if you're not good with woodwork it will cost somewhere around $200 to have new walnut cut, attached and finished.

The frame that is currently nailed on needs to be properly reattached (without nails!!!), but the nail holes will be reasonably easy to fill and touch up.

4 hours ago, genek said:

You should check around your parents' house to see if the removed face frame is laying about somewhere. Otherwise, if you're not good with woodwork it will cost somewhere around $200 to have new walnut cut, attached and finished.

The frame that is currently nailed on needs to be properly reattached (without nails!!!), but the nail holes will be reasonably easy to fill and touch up.

I wish I could find the frame but this is all I got.  Thank you for the information though

• 4 months later...