Powered Advent Speakers

Dan-O

Have a bad/broken power switch. I took off the back to gain access to the switch and there is this dark styrofoam material inside. Can anybody tell me what all that stuff is? I know it is sound buffering material but my concern is is it safe? These speakers were purchased in 1978. Thanks my name is Dan.

I had a pair of Advents that had dark colored open-celled foam inside. That foam is speaker fill and does not degrade over time. It is very similar to the foam often found in seat cushions. It is safe.

Put the foam back in the speakers in the same relative position that you found it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two pair of PAL's.  When I refurbished them I needed to remove the black foam bricks but they just turned to dust as I tried to remove them.  I replaced with batting material from a fabric store.  The material can be purchased in various thickness and I used the 4 inch thick material.  It looks similar to fiberglass but is a synthetic material that is white.  It worked very well for me and it is not "prickley" like fiberglass.  The store was a fabric/sewing retailer call JoAnns.  It is located in the quilting/batting area.