Tube Amp recomedations for AR 2ax

IvanB

On 10/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, ar_pro said:

A fully-restored AR-2ax connected to say, a Dynaco Stereo 70 (35 nominal watts/channel) vacuum tube power amplifier will sound just fine, but probably not as fine as it would if connected to a modern high-wattage solid state power amplifier. In the $1200 price range, you could have either.

What ar_pro said.  If you will be listening to 1960s recordings then 1960s vintage electronics should be adequate.  If you will playing modern recordings, more power is better.

Regarding ported systems vs AR2ax power requirements:  The 2ax is more sensitive than most modern 8 ohm ported designs but a good bit less sensitive than some old, quite large, ported systems of its day.

Hundreds of albums in my LP collection are 1960s era so yes i will playing them as well as as older and new recordings.  I have listened to The AR2ax speakers through many of my solid state amps and receivers  and i appreciate the differences.  It is now time for me to purchase a tube amp for an additional option for music listening and enjoyment.  I know that there is wealth of info from all the folks here so i thought i would see if i could learn more about the how the AR2ax behaves in relation to the power ratings of tube amps, of all kinds, vintage or modern. Thanks for all the info and input from everyone here.

Ivan,

Admittedly I have no first-hand experience with the Bob Latino ST-70 but it fits your budget and if you are at all inclined to do the kit you can have fun and save money. Of course you will also need a preamp, which raises a slew of other questions.

The 2ax does not require the power that the 3a and other 12" AR speakers like so the ST-70 will have more than enough power.

Some people have raved about the affordable tube amps from Yaqin https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/yaqin-tube-amp-audio-c-14?zenid=c8aaf627351b0077ed7b60a729957422  Another way to go would be a tube preamp and solid state power amp, either separates or a hybrid integrated like the Jolida. 

If it were me, I'd go with the Bob Latino Dynakit. Brand new so it should last a long time, classic American design that's a perfect combination with classic American speakers, and you can build the kit for just $900 (including tubes). Or the ST-120, still within your budget but no money left over for a preamp.

Kent

Hi Reza, I paired my AR10PI replica (but I also used AR3 and others ...), as well as AR2ax with all my amps, so starting from 1,7w x 2 tube, amp. up to 325w x 2 of Adcom GFA55 all transistor, all were fine and satisfying in sound quality heard with AR; the only thing that changes is the perceived sound intensity and therefore the Db as pressure reaching the ear: a few watts = splendid sound, many watts = the same sound louder than before, the quality remains the same.
At high volumes supported as a peak by the AR speakers, and with Adcom, the watts are many, the sound and listening remain perfect and not annoying to the ear!
With tubes I don't reach high sound pressures, but the quality of the sound reproduced by AR improves further, with AR2ax I used my Dynaco ST-70, together with Mind-Da MC7R preamplifier and I think it is a formidable combination (the Ming has changed the sole tubes: 2 x 12AX7 Fivre, 2 x 12AU7 mullard year '58 and 5AR4 Mullard, instead of the Chinese tubes): it becomes a definitive pairing; the same with AR3a, probably with AR10PII double the power of Dynaco ST-70 would be good, so 2 x ST-70 in mono or two monophonic brothers from 70w x ch. they would be perfect.