Ar a2ax tweeter wires

DevilDawg

I’ve had these speakers for a few years now great cosmetic shape woofers were refoamed but the pots are shot and I’ve noticed looking at the tweeters under the elec tape the small wires have come loose 

the foam and tweeters don’t look great either is it time to just replace them ? 
not concerned about resale just want to use them with a carver amp and AR TT until I get a new set of speakers 

3 hours ago, DevilDawg said:

I’ve had these speakers for a few years now great cosmetic shape woofers were refoamed but the pots are shot and I’ve noticed looking at the tweeters under the elec tape the small wires have come loose 

the foam and tweeters don’t look great either is it time to just replace them ? 
not concerned about resale just want to use them with a carver amp and AR TT until I get a new set of speakers 

Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean by "loose" under the tape? The tweeter's voice coil leads are soldered to the tinsel leads. Are the tweeters making sound? Whatever the case may be, the tweeters can be rebuilt. Don't toss them.

Roy

15 hours ago, DevilDawg said:

pots are shot and I’ve noticed looking at the tweeters under the elec tape the small wires have come loose 

15 hours ago, DevilDawg said:

ust want to use them with a carver amp and AR TT until I get a new set of speakers

Devil Dawg

What kind of advice do you want?  How handy are you?   There is no repair alternative that does not require some soldering.  If they are in otherwise great shape you could spend  10 to 15 times the cost to repair these, on new speakers instead, and not do better.  You can repair these yourself for $50 to $100.

Adams

I’m pretty handy 

commercial refrigeration tech electrical license 

I just don’t know a lot about speakers trying to figure this out 

I’ve taken the speakers apart found the woofers were only sealed with some white gasket material,leads were not soldered back on just wrapped around the terminal and loose.Pots have no resistance not sure they are even worth messing with 

is there a source for NOS that will trade for what I have? Send in for rebuild ? Or just purchase all new pots tweets 

1 hour ago, DevilDawg said:

is there a source for NOS that will trade for what I have?

No

Send in for rebuild ?

Yes

Or just purchase all new pots tweets 

Yes kind of.

Post good images of both crossovers and the driver face of both cabs with woofers in the hole.  There are several good AR2ax restoration threads. Have you looked at any of those?  Here is one

If you have not read the AR3a restoration guide now would be a good time to read it.  Much of the information is applicable to the 2ax.

Thanks for the info 

I can post some pics I’ve got one taken apart started on the refinish of the cabinets they are actually in really nice shape along with the grills original cloth and badges 

I’ve see wide range of prices on parts especially for the tweeter? I’m going to just order both tweeters all 4 pots and new caps 

any suggestions? 
the eBay sight tweeters are far more expensive than the other one that’s been suggested out here 

I know the mids worked when I first hooked these up a few years ago I’m going to assume they are still good see how they do with new controls and caps 

any concerns running these off my carver amp? Played them few years ago and thought they sounded really darn good excited to see how they do restored 

my amp has been serviced and modified it’s putting out over 300w a channel  

You are ambitious and seem confident.  As long as you know which version of 2ax you have, all the information you need is on this site.  It is difficult to zero in on your specific needs without  the images previously mentioned. 

Your amp will not be an issue. Don't buy used tweeters that have not been rebuilt. Don't buy used pots. Read the restoration guide, much of what applies to the 3a goes for the 2ax.

Adams

On 10/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, DevilDawg said:

just want to use them with a carver amp and AR TT until I get a new set of speakers 

The AR-2ax speakers are outstanding and you would have to spend kilobucks to get a better pair of new speakers.

Ditto what Aadams said.

Follow the resto threads. Pots are not worth rebuilding--replace them with L-pads. Post a pic of your tweeters (the 2ax used 2 different styles). Yours can be rebuilt and will be better than any "replacements". 

Kent

Here are some pics 

I don’t know if it’s ambition I just want my system back up and running...I ordered some JBL 100 classics that showed up severely damaged,sent them back and started thinking I’d just try to get these ARs back to life they sounded really nice on a older Sansui receiver despite needing some work 

I have a new Schiit tube pre that I think will tame the brightness of my carver amp and the sound of these ARs feels like it might be a nice fit 

I’m sure I’ll end up with new speakers at some point I knkw these ARs won’t deliver the dynamics that I really enjoy with my music but they are great looking they match my AR table and my retro decor so I’m all in on the restoration money isn’t a huge factor just want all the parts and get it done 

thanks for the reply’s 

58F5E727-46F0-4122-B428-7DE28B3EAF3D.jpeg

6FFBE118-D295-4EA3-AAB2-023771000FAB.jpeg

7326C86C-D137-4AEB-974F-3F9FDEC77FA4.jpeg

73C5A895-8767-4AD4-A27B-BC3CB95EEBE9.jpeg

B695C840-B206-4481-A010-CBACD1937597.jpeg

If both speakers match, your path is pretty easy.  You can have your tweeters rebuilt @RoyC or @Chris1this1 or the alternative is to install the proven Hivi tweeter mod.  The tweeter mod was developed before the rebuilding of the originals was perfected.  I have all re-builts,  but the Hivi is a bit less expensive and works well if installed properly.  You may discover that your tweeters seem to work but the foam suspension has been severely degraded over time and they are no where near original performance.

LPads with 10 watt 25ohm resistors in parallel are superior to the old pots and cheap. There is a new style pot available on ebay if you prefer.   The wax block caps should be bypassed and replaced with whatever you prefer but Dayton NPEs from Parts express are good. 

You can use duct seal or mortite to reseal the speakers but I think most of us now prefer adhesive gasket tape, especially on the tweeters and mids.  Everything you need is available from Parts Express.

Adams

Thanks Adam 

I think I will order all the parts and get started including tweeters 

I will reach out to Roy for rebuilds see how they compare to the new ones I would prefer the originals just don’t wanna wait that long 

all four wires have detached from the domes I’m assuming that’s repairable 

like the looks of the grills and covers but I seldom have them on unless I have company or kids around  I like the looks of seeing the drivers 

thanks again