A Suggestion For The Administrator

ar_pro

How about an Acoustic Research Forum section dedicated to members with no apparent affection for AR speakers?

The only prerequisite would be that the contributor has never owned an Acoustic Research product, and holds a low opinion of those who respect said products and their designers.

Thereafter, posts featuring self-aggrandizement at the expense of "purists", as well as uninformed suggestions, opinions, and half-baked proposals could then be easily located by anyone interested in such things.

Once again, there seems to be a need for some clarification of the divergent interests of the Forum’s contributors.

All the contributions are interesting and valid. An affection for 'old designs' is the essence of an historically-based hobby. If you like baseball and grew up in the '60's, you still have an "affection," as it were, for the players and teams from that era. Was Carl Yastremeski as good as Barry Bonds? Well, that’s a subject for endless debate (especially considering the vastly different conditions surrounding the game 40 years ago compared to today), but that debate is central to the fun of the hobby, isn’t it? Why would the interest itself in players or teams from 40 years ago be considered unworthy?

A speaker designer from 40 years ago working within the body of knowledge that existed at the time, and with the tools available to him at the time, is a fascinating study. Much as the study of, say, aviation or old cars. Sure, a P-51 Mustang fighter plane can be made to perform better today than it originally did when it was manufactured in 1944, because we know more now than we did then. However, the study of old aircraft is an incredibly interesting and valid hobby.

The idea of 'improving' an old design, be it a speaker or a fighter plane or a car, is also very interesting and worthy of discussion. The two—historical study and modern improvements/modifications— are not mutually-exclusive. However, it’s certainly understandable that people on this Forum have an avid interest and fond affection for the 'old stuff' and the pioneers who invented and manufactured it.

That’s a hobby, not "worship." Just as tinkering around with ways to improve it is also a hobby. Nothing irrational about either one.

Steve F.

I didn't want to be the first to reply but I can see that there may be some misunderstanding of this suggestion. To me this is a clearcut effort to bash certain contributors, one in particular and it has no place on this BB IMO. As long as people remain civil, all views should be welcome with no prerequisites of who can or should post on which topic and who should be excluded. Certainly not based on ownership of particular equipment, not even on level of knowledge or experience with it. What next, a separate board for AR3 owners?

Guest radkrisdoc

>I didn't want to be the first to reply but I can see that

>there may be some misunderstanding of this suggestion. To me

>this is a clearcut effort to bash certain contributors, one in

>particular and it has no place on this BB IMO. As long as

>people remain civil, all views should be welcome with no

>prerequisites of who can or should post on which topic and who

>should be excluded. Certainly not based on ownership of

>particular equipment, not even on level of knowledge or

>experience with it. What next, a separate board for AR3

>owners?

I second soundminded. His post reflects exactly what went through my mind when I read this thread. All views should be welcome and if anyone has anything personal, they should keep it that way...personal. There is no need not to enforce it on the whole forum. I'd like to request Mark one thing though: please delete any future/present posts that have even the slightest slant toward rudeness, or the potential to possibly result in more stone throwing or fighting (flame-fests in Mark's words). You were correct in deleting the previous post, Mark, Im sure everyone knows which one I am referring to. I think there are some more posts here at present that need deletion though. And I am not referring to this thread by the way. Its a good thing that this forum is moderated. Kris

I am a little lost. All I know is that there was a suggestion to change the organization of the forum topics. It may or may not be a good idea, but it was a harmless suggestion. If it is not something that the group wants, it need not go any further. Why is everyone making such a big deal out of it ? Perhaps I am missing something.

Archived