AR Historians: Do You Recognize This AR-6?

tysontom

Roy, it is one of the early versions.  But what about that transformer?  It almost looks a little like a "special" AR-6.

Well, you were the only one at this point to mention anything about it, but it was one of several AR-6s specially built by AR in Holland for the old Royal Opera House in Copenhagen.  I think when they were building the new $500 million opera house or before, they took out all of the old stuff, but I'm not sure of the actual history.  Klause was on hand to get many of the older ARs when they were removed several years back. 

AR-6_Royal-Danish-Opera-House_(02a).thumb.jpg.6135904d26cc49b7194d53b358048188.jpg

Through a little woofer "horse trading" with Klause, I got one black AR-6 a few years ago, but I never looked inside of it until recently, and that's when I noticed the transformer.  That is a line-matching (likely 70-volt) transformer, and I guess all of these AR-6s and the many AR-LSTs also had those transformers due to the big distances between speakers and power source. 

AR-6_Royal-Danish-Opera-House_ARHPG_(17.thumb.jpg.bbb15b30645d796a2091d38e71ff482e.jpg

The original woofer was replaced with a newer ferrite version, which I re-foamed, but the tweeter and crossover are still original.  In most installations such as this, the transformer is usually attached to the back of a speaker, but in this case it was integral with the crossover internally.  AR installed the transformers, painted the oiled-walnut (probably before oiling) cabinet in flat black and sprayed the grill with black paint as well.

AR-6_Royal-Danish-Opera-House_ARHPG_(16).thumb.jpg.d8381d611e76cb6e5f37937c3cb30ea4.jpg

Hope everyone is staying safe!

--Tom Tyson