Cabinet refinnishing

CYNR

Hello good people:

Is there a page on here about refinishing or repairing speaker cabs??

I just received a set of KLH Research X CB-10's and one has a smashed corner and the other one has a little veneer chip missing.

They look to be particle board covered with oak veneer .Other than this minor damage they are in great shape and sound good too.

Sorry I don't have a picture of the damage.

Lonny

cb100.jpg

Hi CYNR

Yes, there have been many posts about cabinet repair, especially in the AR section. Glenn is a master of repairing veneer chips and many of us have dealt with corner bashes. I think we really need pictures of the damage to give advice.

Nice speakers.

Kent

Thanks Kent, 

I will search the AR forum and try to get better pics of the damage to post.

took some pics of the damage, the chip on the top is small 1/2" x 1/4"

the scratches look bad in the pics but not to bad in person, the bottom corner 

is the one I am concerned about.

Lonny

IMG_4942.JPG

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4944.JPG

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

Sorry no one else has chimed in. For the chip, you could cut a little piece of veneer if you have one and piece it like a jigsaw puzzle. Otherwise fill it with filler like colored epoxy.

For the corner bash, I'd try to steam it first. Wet the area, put a cloth over it and apply a hot iron. You may be able to get it back to approximate shape. You may need touse a little pick or something to pry the pieces out, then fill in with colored epoxy.

For colored epoxy, use regular clear 2-part epoxy and color it with Mixol #22 or whatever color looks best for your wood.

For the surface scratches you can also try steaming, then when you sand use sandpaper on a block and sand by hand.

Good luck!

Kent

Hey kent:

After searching CPS and Youtube I have a pretty good idea of what to do.

The big chip I did just that, cut a piece or oak to fit, glued and sanded it ,fit is perfect color is off a bit but I'll match it in finishing.

As for the scratches they sanded out easily , started at 120-220-400 grit A couple of small chips I filled with 2 part wood epoxy

same as the chip the color is a little off but should be able to color match before finishing. I decided to use tung oil because my local

wood supply store did not have a Danish oil in an oak or neutral.

Thanks for taking the time...

Lonny

Hello all;

An update on how my refinishing went, for a guy that in neither an artist nor woodworker I think they turned out pretty good.

All the repairs feel smooth, but the color matching and graining I might have to leave the pros.

They have five coats of tung oil (light sanding between coats 1,2,3 ) not glossy enough on top  for me so tomorrow another super light sanding

and a wax polish to finish. A few pics of the busted corner,  the veneer patch and the tops.

I am waiting for the service  manual before I tackle the guts.

Enjoy...

Lonny

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_5017.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

p4988.jpg

Hello Norman,

They sound great now but I have nothing to compare them to,

I had the woofers out to see if they were recapped or had the speakers swapped out at one time

but all is original and clean. I know caps wear out over time so I will change them out in the near future.

Hey JKent  do you still make KLH badges??? I like to re badge the amps driving the  speakers ,

AR badges on amps driving AR's  KLH badges on amps driving KLH's ETC.

Lonny

IMG_00000085.jpg

IMG_00000076.jpg

IMG_00000078.jpg

Lonny,

I do have some but will probably be getting out of the KLH badge "business". PM me if you want info on availability and prices.

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lonny,

Nice touch with the engraved serial no. tags.

Did you get an answer to your question about the schematic of the crossover? I didn't see one, and not being an electrical engineer, I don't have an answer for you. I can usually follow a simple crossover schematic, the emphasis being on "simple", but after looking at yours, I have the same question.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work, CYNR.  Back to your original question, since 1970, I have been using oridinary Scott's Liquid Gold products on all of my wood speaker cabinets with great results. These products smell better than they did 50 years ago, but still provide a great way to top-off both oiled walnut & other oiled-wood finishes to keep them looking nice.  I've even used SLG  as a final (and, only)  finish on newly-sanded oiled walnut with beautiful results.  I learned to use the product from my mother, a non-audiophile, who used it to keep the wood floors in good condition.