AR-5 Acquisition and Refurb

MikeD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

My AR-5 restoration project is nearing completion.  Can't wait to listen to them for the first time!

This is a question of cosmetics:  I have ordered the 18-count lambswool linen and have constructed new grille panels out of 3/16" tempered hardboard.  So far so good.  However, I can't seem to find a definitive statement on whether or not to paint the panels flat black before covering them.   I do not care for the shadows that show when they are left natural, and outside of authenticity, I can't see any reason to avoid painting them in order to minimize shadowing.  Seems that the AR3a had black grille frames.  Were the AR5s originally black?  What is the consensus here?  Paint or not paint?

AR5_Grille_Panels.jpg

The original masonite grill panels were not painted black, but had a black melamine film thermally fused to the smooth surface. If you paint yours black, do not use a latex or any other water-based paint (or better yet, use an alcohol-based stain) and overcoat the black with a couple of coats of clear polyurethane (also non water-based) or eventually the black will bleed through the cloth. It may take years for it to happen, but it will eventually.

Thanks to all.

After scuffing the surface a bit for adhesion, I thought of rattle-can spraying them with Rustoleum flat black.   I also have an old can of Dupont "Tire Black" jet black paint (7% carbon black pigment) that I may test out on a different piece.  I was going to use that to touch up the exposed metal rim of the woofer after installation.  

The poly topcoat is an interesting idea.

I have used the acrylic blackboard paint sold at Michaels with no problems.  Here is another idea.  KLH used to do this. Get some of the sheere black speaker grill cloth from Parts Express.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-grill-cloth-black-yard-70-wide--260-335

it is 100% acoustically transparent. Cover your frames with it first and then cover with your 18 ct lambswool. You will not see any cutouts.

XmkWBY3m.jpgR95AmwJm.jpgB8PcyXpm.jpg

I usually glue the black cloth then staple the lambswool.

4 hours ago, lARrybody said:

I have used the acrylic blackboard paint sold at Michaels with no problems.  Here is another idea.  KLH used to do this. Get some of the sheere black speaker grill cloth from Parts Express.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-grill-cloth-black-yard-70-wide--260-335

it is 100% acoustically transparent. Cover your frames with it first and then cover with your 18 ct lambswool. You will not see any cutouts.

XmkWBY3m.jpgR95AmwJm.jpgB8PcyXpm.jpg

I usually glue the black cloth then staple the lambswool.

I like this idea!  May go this route in the end.   

I painted a test piece of hardboard with the tire black, and it came out perfectly.   Nice flat black, and it actually looks better on the half of the piece that I did not scuff up at all.  I will test the durability this weekend, but I am pretty confident that it will work well for this purpose.