Acoustic research mst1

Robert young

Hi everyone I’m a bit confused I need to source some tweeters for my replica mst1’s 3 tweeter configuration are the tweeters 4 ohm or 8 ohm? can anyone help with the frequency range and sensitivity Needed i’m looking to use new tweeters can anyone suggest a good tweeter as I’m new to this,any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated,
rob

58 minutes ago, Robert young said:

Hi everyone I’m a bit confused I need to source some tweeters for my replica mst1’s 3 tweeter configuration are the tweeters 4 ohm or 8 ohm? can anyone help with the frequency range and sensitivity Needed i’m looking to use new tweeters can anyone suggest a good tweeter as I’m new to this,any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated,
rob

Robert,

They are rated as 8 ohm tweeters, but there are no "drop -in" replacements available. Any drivers you use other than used originals will require development of an appropriate crossover.  Based on your posts regarding your woofers, in the absence of original drivers, you are essentially designing a new speaker system in an MST shaped cabinet. You could call it the "RST". 🙂

Roy

RST I like that !

i was coming to the same conclusion,the crossover point in the original mst1 was specific to the Roy Allison tweeters and woofer,I’m going to choose some drivers and try and design a crossover on crossover software (should be interesting/frustrating!) 🙃but even with a revised crossover the design is the speakers personality with it’s unique sound dispersion.

one question when designing the crossover would the mst1 configuration be considered a 3way design?

one good thing about designing the crossover is the guesswork and trial and error are somewhat lessened,but that said if anyone out there has any suggestions on a crossover design that may work I’m all ears 

Rob😎

Rob,

Designing a crossover is daunting. First order? Second order? Third? Higher? Should it be Butterworth? Linkwitz-Riley? Something else? I wouldn't even try. And with all due respect, if you don't know whether you're building a 3-way or 2-way speaker, you probably shouldn't try to design a new crossover. 

Your first concern was the lack of bass from the re-coned woofers. You've sought advice here and Roy's suggestion of the AR-4x is a good one. As I understan it, the mst was essentially an AR-4x in a fancy new box with additional tweeters. The AR-4 series speakers were sold in the U.K. and I imagine the woofers show up for sale sometimes. Now you're considering Monacor woofers based on some other "expert's" suggestion. Member Mike Tarelli commented that Wembley have a very good reputation. Why not go back to them with your concerns about lack of bass?  I think it was also mentioned that the boxes have to be absolutely air-tight. Did you test them with new gaskets behind all the drivers and terminal plates? I fear you're taking an impulsive jump into the deep end.

Those cabinets look great and deserve the right electronics.

Just my 2 cents (or pence) worth.

Kent

You make very good sense to me,I have completely sealed the boxes with gadgets on everything so maybe as you said speak to Wembley and see if there’s a remedy I’m sure they’re familiar with the ar4x if not the mst so I think that’ll be my first port of call as I would love to use the original drive units for obvious reasons 

thanks for your advice Kent