Historical vs. Upgrade posts

Steve F

>Should a separate area(s) be devoted to photos or will they be able to be integrated into the current plan?<

I think I understand Mark to be saying that whoever *wants* to would contribute to the "pearls" section. Then HE would eventually move "reference" material into each speaker's subsection.

In fact, I'm not sure what he means for his "help" to do. He may be "hanging-loose" based on what Apache is going to let him get-away with.

Bret

This is such a valuable place. I hate the think of it costing you cash money. Time, perhaps, is a labor of love...

Is there a way for me to make a modest donation towards hardware, or whatever, without it becoming a legal or tax status problem?

>Ah ha ! Now I see. Regular, un-edited, user submissions.

>GREAT !

>

>Now, how can we keep "discussion" out of that forum and force

>it back into this one (which is where it belongs). Or did you

>have a different vision?

Hi Bret,

I don't think you're following me, this is my quote from the last post:

"The "Pearls of Wisdom" would simply be moderated forum that behaves like you and I have both discussed."

Moderated in the sense that the moderator has the ability to not only decide when a post goes in the forum, but also the ability to edit the content. So each post that gets through to the forum and/or edited before posting would qualify as worthy of archival.

I think we're getting *way* too complicated here however.

Anything that is really worthy of archival should be in the "Library" section of the website anyway, so I see the forum idea at this point as redundant. So, here's my last hurrah on the topic:

We create a regular forum, *not* moderated, titled "Library Additions and Corrections." Once a consensus is reached by some of our most knowledgable users, I'll follow-up on the suggestion, whether it's a correction in the library or the addition of content.

I'll make the distinction between the forums and library much more clear when I have time to do some serious editing.

I looked into wiki software this morning and I admit I like the idea, however, what I can see happening is fractionalization - people won't know whether to go to the forums, library, or wiki for an answer for example, or it wouldn't be clear on where an update should go, etc.

So let's follow the KISS principle. I think this discussion has been valuable in the sense that there is clearly confusion by what I mean by the "main section" or "rest of the website" so that will know be called the "Library", and the need for a forum dedicated to the discussion of adding and correcting items in the library.

Mark

>This is such a valuable place. I hate the think of it

>costing you cash money. Time, perhaps, is a labor of love...

>

>Is there a way for me to make a modest donation towards

>hardware, or whatever, without it becoming a legal or tax

>status problem?

The expenses are definitely not a problem. The forum software wasn't very expensive, but every time I perform a major operation (moving servers, moving from MS Windows to Linux, etc.) I pay the author to perform the forum related work.

I don't mind hosting the website. If it ever became an issue I would let people know. I think the most valuable contributions that all of you make are your participation in the forums and submission of manuals, schematics, etc.

Mark

Archived