The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
CYNR

AR Redbox improved made in UK.

Hello Good People:

I just recieved a pair of NOS Acoustic Research Red Box Improved (mint condition) SN# GW002325 and GW002326 , I can not find anything online about these speakers and am very curious

to find out more.  They have the "designed and engineered in Great Britain"  decals with the union jack flag on them. 6.5 inch woofer and 1 inch liquid cooled tweeters, I hooked them up to a

Peavey IPS 150 amp and they sound great,I will attach pics soon as I am without my camera at the moment. So come on experts tell me what I have here.

CYNR 96.3 fm

Good Music For Bad People

16 hours ago, CYNR said:

tell me what I have here.

Redbox 2, which was a British reissue of the AR18s,  has been discussed here in the distant past.  Your description seems to fit an AR8b which can be found in the AR section of the library  in the "Post Classic Series".  It would help if you provide photos.

Hello Aadams,

Thanks for taking the time,  I have included pictures now. I have looked at the AR18,AR8b but the closest I can find is the AR102, 

I am curious about the UK angle and the improved designation (improved over what?)

CYNR

IMG_4759.JPG

IMG_4760.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_4763.JPG

IMG_4764.JPG

13 minutes ago, CYNR said:

I have looked at the AR18,AR8b but the closest I can find is the AR102, 

I think it is a version of the TSW110 or possibly 100. 

Just checked the TSW line and not the same, the only ones I can find that have the similar triangular  tweeters are the AR102s from 1990-1991.

What is the significance of the RedBox designation and  how important is it that my pair have consecutive serial numbers?

I have only seen one other pair with consecutive numbers and the owner stated they were a matched pair...

Cynr

Consecutive AR serial numbers are very, very rare unless the speakers originally came boxed as a set.

Hello Genek:

I was gifted these from my neighbours brothers mother in law who bought them new in the '90s and never hooked them up

but took them out of the box to use the box to ship something east. She is 80 years young but can't recall any info about the speakers.

I am having a hard time finding any info about the RedBox improved designation or the UK connection but any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Just noticed the Portland Or. local,  passed through many times traveling from central B.C. to San francisco, I was born 6 miles from the pacific

ocean and can't get it out of my blood.

Thanks 

CYNR

2 hours ago, cd0nc said:

They look closest to AR 8BX speakers to me.

I agree.  Attached is a photo of a pair of AR-8bxi's, which are virtually identical to the 8bx.AR-8Bxi.jpg.e588537726f30f158cfde985108e3576.jpgx's.

Hey guys (girls?) thanks for helping but the tweeters are wrong on the AR8b i've included pics of two different AR102s to compare .

The dimensions are wrong on the AR8s  my dimensions are  12.25 X 7.5 X 6.25 . I have only found this triangular tweeter on this model (AR102)

CYNR

247768-2cb1f620-acoustic_research_ar102_bookshelf_speakers.jpg

DSC_2192.jpg

If everything is original, the internal cab volume and the crossover specs will matter more than appearance.  The tweeter appears to be a .75.  Any one of the 6.5" named above should sound practically the same as this Redbox version.