AR Redbox improved made in UK.

CYNR

Hello Good People:

I just recieved a pair of NOS Acoustic Research Red Box Improved (mint condition) SN# GW002325 and GW002326 , I can not find anything online about these speakers and am very curious

to find out more.  They have the "designed and engineered in Great Britain"  decals with the union jack flag on them. 6.5 inch woofer and 1 inch liquid cooled tweeters, I hooked them up to a

Peavey IPS 150 amp and they sound great,I will attach pics soon as I am without my camera at the moment. So come on experts tell me what I have here.

CYNR 96.3 fm

Good Music For Bad People

16 hours ago, CYNR said:

tell me what I have here.

Redbox 2, which was a British reissue of the AR18s,  has been discussed here in the distant past.  Your description seems to fit an AR8b which can be found in the AR section of the library  in the "Post Classic Series".  It would help if you provide photos.

Hello Aadams,

Thanks for taking the time,  I have included pictures now. I have looked at the AR18,AR8b but the closest I can find is the AR102, 

I am curious about the UK angle and the improved designation (improved over what?)

CYNR

IMG_4759.JPG

IMG_4760.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_4763.JPG

IMG_4764.JPG

Just checked the TSW line and not the same, the only ones I can find that have the similar triangular  tweeters are the AR102s from 1990-1991.

What is the significance of the RedBox designation and  how important is it that my pair have consecutive serial numbers?

I have only seen one other pair with consecutive numbers and the owner stated they were a matched pair...

Cynr

Hello Genek:

I was gifted these from my neighbours brothers mother in law who bought them new in the '90s and never hooked them up

but took them out of the box to use the box to ship something east. She is 80 years young but can't recall any info about the speakers.

I am having a hard time finding any info about the RedBox improved designation or the UK connection but any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Just noticed the Portland Or. local,  passed through many times traveling from central B.C. to San francisco, I was born 6 miles from the pacific

ocean and can't get it out of my blood.

Thanks 

CYNR

Hey guys (girls?) thanks for helping but the tweeters are wrong on the AR8b i've included pics of two different AR102s to compare .

The dimensions are wrong on the AR8s  my dimensions are  12.25 X 7.5 X 6.25 . I have only found this triangular tweeter on this model (AR102)

CYNR

247768-2cb1f620-acoustic_research_ar102_bookshelf_speakers.jpg

DSC_2192.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just stumbled across this post and wanted to shed some light on the AR Red Box speakers. I worked for Acoustic Research in the UK at the time and was involved in the Red Box project. At the time - late 1980's the band Simply Red were using AR 18's as near-field monitors and loved them. I met with the band and asked if we could make a speaker in collaboration with them, based on the out-going AR18's. They agreed and approved the design. We choose Red Box as the name because of the song of their first album Picture Book - track 8 (Open-up) The Red Box. The collaboration only continued for a short time after which the speaker was superseded by the AR Spirit 112 - same drivers newly designed cabinet, launched in 1990. Sadly, at the end of 1990 AR was acquired by International Jensen, the UK factory was closed down and all things AR turned in the wrong direction. Now they are a minor subsidiary of AudioVox and make crap cables and cheap powered speakers.

On 7/9/2020 at 6:19 PM, genek said:

Consecutive AR serial numbers are very, very rare unless the speakers originally came boxed as a set.

Well, I got a pair  (serial number wise) of AR 17.

AR17 25714.jpg

AR17 25713.jpg

Thank you  simonsounds   for the information that has been haunting me since I received these speakers,

I am presently listening to Simply Red on my Red Box Improved speakers and they still sound great (the speakers as well as the band),

As I said in an earlier post I got these as a NOS pair in 2019 , If you are reading this Simonsounds  what was the date of manufacture?

pre 1990 but how pre? and to the improved designation improved over the 18's?? Thanks again for chiming in 1.5 years later I can now

sleep easy ...

Lonny

You maybe right, they might have come in one box, it was in 1978 I bought them. What sticks in my mind though was the sales guy says "I'll make sure you get a serial numbered pair." Don't know why he'd say that unless he was brown nosing me...

11 hours ago, dna said:

the sales guy says "I'll make sure you get a serial numbered pair."

From what I have read and archived over the years, of the old Teledyne "production", the first ARs to have serial numbers were the AR7s, sold in pairs in a single package, of these I have three pairs, two produced in Holland, one in England and all have serial numbers (a fourth pair will be the "replica" that I will set up in the NOS cabinet, of which I own two pairs, with original speakers conforming to the model), also of the AR7, I have two original packaging of which I am attaching a photo (note the one at right in photo yet to be opened!).
Instead of the ADD series, I own a pair of AR18Js with serial numbers, a pair of AR18EJs (made in England), also serial and finally a pair of AR17EH (made in England) also serial ... all these pairs were sold as the previous AR7s in a single package, therefore in ° they were serial.
Finally I have a pair of AR1MS, the smallest loudspeakers produced by AR, also sold in pairs, in a single common package and with serial numbers.
This is my contribution.

812057818_AR71.jpg.99f02eba06ebeb795457ddaa1171b18f.jpg

Regarding serial numbers: At the factory in the UK we would batch-build one model at a time. Each speakers came down a production line at the end of which they were close-mic measured in a small sound-treated box (similar to our full-size anechoic chamber), the frequency response had to be withing 2dB of the reference curve for that model. If the speaker passed, the serial number was applied and the speakers were boxed. Smaller speakers were boxed in pairs and always had sequential serial numbers. Larger speakers like the 12's and 11's were boxed individually and could find themselves separated during shipping etc. 

The reference curve was checked each day against the 'golden' sample to ensure variations in humidity etc., had not changed the response. We believed that every speaker we made was matched and was within the reference measurements.

No sir, You are welcome. To get first hand information and not hearsay or second hand news is gold for me. I hope you can enlighten us with more insider

information about the goings on at the factory in the UK. I am still wondering about the "improved" designation on my speakers..

Lonny

13 hours ago, genek said:

the speakers have the same serial number.

Genek, you're right, I checked my pair of AR1MS and they have the same number, even the pair of AR18J have the same number, not consecutive, in the afternoon I check a couple of AR18EJ labels, removed from the cabinets and check these numbers too!