Dynaco Dan rocks!!!

Guest Baritunes

Guest Baritunes

Just had to thank you for the tip regarding my problem acquiring sound out of the mids and tweet of my one AR 2a. Got both speakers working now!!! The pots are nearly shot, but there is life in all the drivers, which I'm most concerned with. Cloth surrounds on the woofers, which makes me happy. I'm stoked to make some decent stands and replace my KEF's, which are entirely too harsh...sorry, KEF fans...just not my cup of tea.

Little history on my love of AR...grew up with my dad's set of AR 2's...the original ones with no tweet like the A's....but still a smooth sound. I've also been using some AR 7's as nearfield monitors in my home studio, with great results.

Thanks for the advice, once again....this is a wonderful list, and I'm glad to have found it!!!

Dan

Hello

I'm glad that there was some useful advice for you here.

Regarding your dirty pots there is several pieces of advice regarding cleaning up.

The last thing you want is to remove and damage them.

They are not available on the new old stock market.

An equivalent replacement is not readily available should you want to replace them.

A friend of mine in Vancouver owns Lee's Electronics and I have a Chinese pot he sells. It's ugly, looks extremely heavy duty, 25 watt rating but only 10 or 20 ohm rather than 15 - 16 ohm as per AR OEM. There may be a 15 - 16 ohm version which may be available by special order. The wiper area is exposed rather than concealed by a metal cover like the originals. Like I say it looks ugly but built like a tank. Function over finish. Less that $20.00 cdn.

There is more than one member who does cleanup and exchange pots for a fee. This would be a good option if you lack the confidence to attempt it.

A first attempt might be to spray Deoxit or the old name Cramolin into the pots from access through the woofer hole.

There is a automotive electricaly conductive grease available if you should be successful at removing and cleaning up the contact surfaces inside the pots.

If you do attempt to remove them from the enclosure be sure to draw the wiring schematic and the colour codes first.

Good luck

Dynaco_Dan/Vern

>Just had to thank you for the tip regarding my problem

>acquiring sound out of the mids and tweet of my one AR 2a.

>Got both speakers working now!!! The pots are nearly shot,

>but there is life in all the drivers, which I'm most concerned

>with. Cloth surrounds on the woofers, which makes me happy.

>I'm stoked to make some decent stands and replace my KEF's,

>which are entirely too harsh...sorry, KEF fans...just not my

>cup of tea.

>

>Little history on my love of AR...grew up with my dad's set of

>AR 2's...the original ones with no tweet like the A's....but

>still a smooth sound. I've also been using some AR 7's as

>nearfield monitors in my home studio, with great results.

>

>Thanks for the advice, once again....this is a wonderful list,

>and I'm glad to have found it!!!

>

>Dan

Guest palomar

Dan,

I have to agree with growing up with the AR sound. My father had a single AR2a which was powered by a Dynaco PAM-1/Mark IV combination, and I grew to really like that sound. While many modern speakers far outperform it in a number of respects, it still has that ability to sound smooth without being overly dull (at least in my opinion).

I've build speakers for a hobby, and I always use that speaker as a reference.

Guest Baritunes

Yeah, in fact I did the pepsi challenge with the AR 2a's against my KEF C65's, and what I really want is something in between....the KEF's are more sonically brilliant, obviously, but there is a depth in the old AR's that I'm not going to get over easily. I'm considering doing some driver changeout and crossover changeout...I think the main problem with the AR's really has to do with the crossover freq's...too high on the woof. I might give that Layne Audio kit a try and also stuff the heck out of the boxes to dampen them a little better....

Keep on listening the old way....

Dan

Archived