AR-3a Improved new shunt measurements

Stephen M

After recapping all but the 20uf and big compulytic 150uf, I grabbed some magnitude spectra, close mic'ing each driver. The crossover points I got were:

Left low/mid - 497Hz               mid/high - 6147Hz

Right low/mid - 432Hz            mid/high - 6261Hz

I've now replaced the old compulytic 150uf with a mundorf bipolar electrolytic, and sealed the cabinets.The crossovers are now measuring:

Left low/mid - 508Hz               mid/high - 4787Hz

Right low/mid - 506Hz            mid/high - 4865Hz

Attached some grabs of the second measurements.

AR-3a Improved Left.jpg

AR-3a Improved Right.jpg

Can you also measure the  frequency response of the speaker? If you overlay the total  response with the that of the individual drivers then any problem will be more apparent. 

In properly designed speaker, the overall response tends to be smother than the individual drivers. 

Here is an illustration. http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com/2015/12/infinity-reference-r152-infinitys-high.html

Here are a couple of full range sweeps with the mic at approx. 1m distance, pointing directly at the speaker at a point between the mid and tweeter. The room is untreated so there are several nulls I need to try to eliminate, but the general response may be seen in white.

286377074_AR-3aImprovedRightfull.thumb.jpg.d690208d77851bc87537ba4a5eb5aed2.jpg

565203555_AR-3aImprovedLeftfull.thumb.jpg.671cb117750e011c2d8ec10f5e2fe194.jpgy

Well, I did quite a few other things when recapping, so it's hard to know what the individual effect of each was. I like the sound now, and sealing the cabinets has tightened up the bottom end a lot. Room treatment will be a big factor in the sound too. I'm just wondering whether it'd be worthwhile getting the mid range serviced.

Would it be possible to buy a replacement midrange with the option for returning? The chance is 50/50 that one may find the sound of either one is fine, especially after carefully adjusting the mid frequency control.  To me, your midrange does not show any glaring deficiency. 

8 hours ago, ligs said:

Would it be possible to buy a replacement midrange with the option for returning? The chance is 50/50 that one may find the sound of either one is fine, especially after carefully adjusting the mid frequency control.  To me, your midrange does not show any glaring deficiency. 

The 3a Improved doesn't have a mid frequency control, it's a 2-way switch. Do you think the lower output of the midrange is to be expected? The tweeters are new HiVi substitutes, and might have a higher output than the originals, although this is a guess.

8 hours ago, ligs said:

I assume you have a pair of AT 3a improved midrange drivers. You can switch between them to see there is significant difference. At least you can determine which one is faulty. 

I don't think either one is faulty, as they both have a very similar response.

Another possibility might be that C2, a 20uf Solen MKP that is in the midrange path, needs replacing. This is the only cap in the crossover I haven't replaced, as it tested OK in both speakers.

4 hours ago, Stephen M said:

The 3a Improved doesn't have a mid frequency control, it's a 2-way switch. Do you think the lower output of the midrange is to be expected? The tweeters are new HiVi substitutes, and might have a higher output than the originals, although this is a guess.

I don't think either one is faulty, as they both have a very similar response.

Another possibility might be that C2, a 20uf Solen MKP that is in the midrange path, needs replacing. This is the only cap in the crossover I haven't replaced, as it tested OK in both speakers.

Stephen,

The HiVi tweeter has significantly greater output than the original tweeter, and is the most likely source of any dissatisfaction you may have to this point. Additionally, compared to the limited settings provided by the switches of the 3a Improved, the variable level controls of the original AR-3a makes it much easier to dial in the desired balance.

It's very doubtful anything will be accomplished by trying to replace the midrange voice coils (which, by the way, is a very unlikely possibility). Replacing the Solen capacitors is not going to significantly change anything either.

Roy

Thanks Roy, what you've said makes a lot of sense. There is definitely a trap when chasing the measurements rather than using my ears. 

The overall sound is very good, and I'm really happy with how things are now. I've done a bit more room treatment, and will attach the last measurement. Looks like I need to back off on the high range attenuation now, but things are in a good spot now for fine-tuning.

full range room 1.jpg