AR 4x grille removal

Guest molecules

Guest molecules

Are all 4x' designed for the grille to be pried strait away ? I have a beautiful walnut pair and the front grill is fitted so well that it will not come off easily. Before I try more force, I would just like to make sure this is the correct method.

The tweeter level controls are acting up and one of the binding posts is loose.

Thanks,

Dave

It is my understanding that they were hotglued, corners and center sides. Both my son's speakers were mounted that way. Grilles can be pried free. You might wish to consider placing a flat, wide surface like a putty knife or a thin piece of Masonite next to the finished wood, then slipping a thin blade under the grille and prying gently so as not to mar the finish. When remounting, Velcro is an option to consider.

I have had success by utilizing the hole in the grill that the badge screws into. Its a good spot from which to pull on the grill with a curved tool (I've used a dental pick) to get things started. If you damage the hole its easily filled and repaired. The badge subsequently covers the scene of the crime..

Roy

>Are all 4x' designed for the grille to be pried strait away ?

> I have a beautiful walnut pair and the front grill is fitted

>so well that it will not come off easily. Before I try more

>force, I would just like to make sure this is the correct

>method.

>

>The tweeter level controls are acting up and one of the

>binding posts is loose.

Dave,

The grill panels on the AR-4x were hot-glued *and* stapled to the front speaker baffle. You should look for the white-painted staples and carefully remove them before prying-up the grill panels. Using a putty knife with a wide blade, you can then go around the edge of the grill and gently pry until it begins to pop loose. Be careful not to pull too hard on the grill, as the hot glue sticks to the linen grill material on the underside of the frame, and it can tear the material. The grills on original AR-4xs are the premium beige-linen versions; some later 4xs and all of the AR-4xa models had the less-desirable white-linen grill material.

--Tom Tyson

Archived