AR11 Advice

powerglide

2 hours ago, powerglide said:

Is it common that they would just stop working or would they start failing the higher frequencies and then get weaker and weaker? 

The AR11 tweeters are durable and do not degrade noticeably over a human life span.  The most probable way for two to die at once is amp distortion, perhaps abuse or maybe a drop- the-needle accident.  Easiest way to diagnose is remove them and check for continuity.

On 3/29/2020 at 1:23 AM, powerglide said:

So the seller has pulled he sale due to the tweeters not functioning, is the Hi-Vi mod I'm doing for the 2ax's the same for the 11's minus the 25ohm resistors?

I believe the Hi-Vi tweeters would work but RoyC is the expert on this, so let's see what he says. This "could" be a golden opportunity. See if the seller will sell them as-is at a bargain price. You could mention the $380/pr AUD price for replacement tweets (and not mention the Hi-Vis).

Kent brought this thread to my attention. After checking some old notes I realized I had experimented with the HiVi tweeter in the AR-11 (and AR-3a Limited) a long time ago. The HiVi tweeter will work acceptably in the AR-11 by replacing the AR-11's tweeter crossover coil (.11mh) with a .05mh coil.

Roy

17 hours ago, JKent said:

I believe the Hi-Vi tweeters would work but RoyC is the expert on this, so let's see what he says. This "could" be a golden opportunity. See if the seller will sell them as-is at a bargain price. You could mention the $380/pr AUD price for replacement tweets (and not mention the Hi-Vis).

Nah, if it's ment to be it will happen.

Someone has a pair of 3a's waiting for me, they just don't know it yet.

On 3/31/2020 at 5:37 AM, RoyC said:

Kent brought this thread to my attention. After checking some old notes I realized I had experimented with the HiVi tweeter in the AR-11 (and AR-3a Limited) a long time ago. The HiVi tweeter will work acceptably in the AR-11 by replacing the AR-11's tweeter crossover coil (.11mh) with a .05mh coil.

Roy

Thanks Roy

Options are good, the Hi-Vi's are available over here but triple the price of US parts express?, as mentioned in one of my other posts by the time you add freight - import tax - GST and the crappy exchange rate it brings them to roughly the same as the local ones around $200AUD, still it's cheaper than the for mentioned replacement tweeters. 

by getting my brother to bring some Hi-Vi's down last month cost me $44USD with the coils mods about $71AUD 

• 1 year later...

Some discussion here: 

And here's a thread that shows the nice frames Glenn made from 1x1 pine  

lARrrybody made some beautiful frames for me. If you are handy at woodworking you can some too. Or http://foamspeakergrilles.com will make foam reproductions. There "was" an ebay seller offering reproductions for $130/pair but I don't see them now. And I think there is information in one of our threads about making your own foam grilles.

On 2/11/2022 at 11:57 PM, ar_pro said:

I remember Glenn's grilles for the AR-12, and they looked great.

Has anyone ever used Classic-style linen with the ADD speakers?

Thanks! I was very happy with the end results, keeping the original look & design.

Glad the thread may be of some help.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2022 at 12:26 AM, GD70 said:

Thanks! I was very happy with the end results, keeping the original look & design.

Glad the thread may be of some help.

Cheers!

A birdy told me that at some stage you have supplied replacement AR11 grilles. I've no idea whether this is just slander, or a bastion of hope. Can you confirm?

On 3/28/2020 at 7:06 PM, powerglide said:

Crickey, I never looked at the Ohms of the 3's rats! 

I have other Amps that with drive them but none as nice as my AU-D11 

http://www.sansui.us/AU-D11.htm

http://www.sansui.us/PGMP_AUD11.htm

The AU-D11 (original, I haven't personal experience with the AU-D11 2) works fine with the 4 ohm speakers from AR.  I've used it to drive AR-3a and AR-90s with no troubles at all.  Interesting coincidence to this post is that I sent it off to a new owner this morning.