AR3a Cabinet Spot Repair Gone Wrong!

Gr3grs

Hello! I was hoping someone could help me out here. I was was trying to remove excess wood filler around the nose of my AR3a’s from the previous owner. I successfully sanded the filler down and applied stain which appeared to be a good match (bad idea). Now the area that I “spot repaired” is darker than the rest of my speaker cabinet. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can solve this? Any help would be amazing. Thanks. 

If those were mine, I'd completely, carefully sand the cab to the veneer surface. Then apply Watcos Danish natural color oil. The vintage veneer will darken, and usually will absorb 5 wipe on applications, I never paint it on, but wipe it on with cut up cotton t-shirts or an old sock. The veneer will absorb the first two applications almost immediately. Allow each application 24 hours to dry, then hand sand with 600 grit. I do this between each application. 

Good luck, Glenn

My concern with these is that from the OP description the dark areas are not all veneer but are partly filler. If only excess filler was sanded off, then even after a full sanding the areas of the surface that are still filler will still absorb any new stain unevenly. If I did nothing else, I'd at least apply a prestain conditioner before any stain.

Thank you. In hindsight I should have just used Danish oil or something similar from the start. I did remove a significant amount of filler. I just want the area that was repaired to match the rest of the cabinet. Do you have a chemical you’d recommend for stain removal?

So I sanded the cabinet and applied mineral spirits. I was having a very difficult time removing the stain. I only got a very small amount off. I did some additional sanding and then applied danish oil. It’s not exactly where I would have liked it to be, but I suppose it is a bit better than it was before. Thank you guys for your help so far.1BC37374-88C9-4060-9AFC-CE6EE1EE459B.thumb.jpeg.2c5922a124c39e5e5a7079ff4165bb22.jpeg

On March 21, 2020 at 3:28 PM, Gr3grs said:

So I sanded the cabinet and applied mineral spirits. I was having a very difficult time removing the stain. I only got a very small amount off. I did some additional sanding and then applied danish oil. It’s not exactly where I would have liked it to be, but I suppose it is a bit better than it was before. Thank you guys for your help so far.1BC37374-88C9-4060-9AFC-CE6EE1EE459B.thumb.jpeg.2c5922a124c39e5e5a7079ff4165bb22.jpeg

Far better than before. Nice work.