JKent

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Glenn

Beautiful, meticulous work on those 12s.

I'll have to rethink the frames. A friend cut some poplar for me, .75" x 1.5". That may not work. Back to the drawing board.

Kent

I think .75" square poplar cut with the bevel might look better being less bulky looking than Glen's.

But of course measure first to be sure that everything fits and clears.

19 hours ago, Pete B said:

I think .75" square poplar cut with the bevel might look better being less bulky looking than Glen's.

But of course measure first to be sure that everything fits and clears.

I was after the original look. 

What ever style, and cut that's decided on, leave at least 1/8th clearance all sides to account for the grill cloth.

19 hours ago, JKent said:

Thanks Glenn

Beautiful, meticulous work on those 12s.

I'll have to rethink the frames. A friend cut some poplar for me, .75" x 1.5". That may not work. Back to the drawing board.

Kent

Thanks Kent, and I'm sure yours will look great when you're finished.

Glenn

Is Poplar a Hardwood?

Written by Chris Deziel; Updated October 16, 2019

Poplar is a hardwood, but it isn’t a hard wood. The most common species in the United States, yellow poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), is found throughout the Northeast as well as in Canada, and it’s deciduous. The question may arise in your mind: “But is poplar wood strong?” and the answer is yes, but it isn’t as hard as most hardwoods, with a hardness rating less than that of some species of cedar, which is a softwood.

The original grille frames on my old AR-6s were pine but were only 1/4-3/8" square and wood split where the staples went in. OTOH, most art canvas is framed on 1/2-3/4" pine and the staples hold ok and don't split the wood, so as long as the stock is thick enough pine or poplar should be ok.

You may have already decided how to make your frame and attach your grill cloth.  If you haven't, I would suggest making your frames out of dense hardwood and gluing the stretch cloth.  I glued stretch grill cloth when I restored my AR-98Ls' and was very pleased with the results.  See attachments.

I used Amazing Goop Craft glue and paper clamps.  I glued the sides first and then the top, bottom & corners.614701060_AR98LsGrillClothReplacement-2.thumb.JPG.789ed88039cd6406b9250fd3fa703c8d.JPG60613683_AR98LsGrillClothReplacement-Corner.thumb.JPG.c765d1a27b355d714bca3b9f9c072df9.JPG

Thanks. All input welcome. I will be using poplar because of its stability. Will have to rethink the dimensions when I get home later this month. Still undecided about glue, staples or both but leaning toward both.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume that you are well on your way to making your cloth/wood frame grilles, but I thought you might find it interesting that someone is selling AR-11 reproduction grilles on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-AR-11-10PI-ETC-NEW-FOAM-GRILLES-PAIR

I can't tell from the photos if they are any good.  The foam itself looks similar to porous foam that   http://foamspeakergrilles.com/ uses to make their grilles.

510377534_AR-11FoamGrille.thumb.jpg.e837f0180d745346e405b178afc23dee.jpg1977306118_AR-11FoamGrilleback.thumb.jpg.9d3b1cc8ca51b120812bfd3e91fc38e8.jpg

39 minutes ago, AR55 said:

I assume that you are well on your way to making your cloth/wood frame grilles, but I thought you might find it interesting that someone is selling AR-11 reproduction grilles on eBay

Thanks. Actually my frames are stalled. A friend who works in a wood shop was cutting pieces of poplar but he's been out of work and even if he had them we're staying isolated so when the weather warms up I'll take my table saw outside and cut some pine myself.

Those look nice but I'm doing these for a friend and I don't think he wants to spend $120 for the grilles. But I appreciate the info.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished!

lARrybody to the rescue. Larry had provided the missing logo and he kindly sent me a pair of custom-made wood frames! All I had to do was polish & paint the badge, apply stretchy grille cloth to the frames.  I used PE's grille cloth applied with Fabri-Tac glue and 1/4" staples. Larry mentioned Mellotone grille fabric, also available from PE and said it's much nicer but I'd already bought the cloth ?

Larry said his are friction-fit but I installed some Velcro and a fishing line pull.

Gotta love the CSP community.

Kent

AR-11 finished 6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that’s Larry’s work. Looks good.

btw, I now have reproduction brass AR-11 logos available. I’ll put them in the For Sale section.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is an excellent thread I only found after I finished the AR58S.  Obvious oversight on my part, and can only roll my eyes at this point for not paying better attention.

Truly impressed with the overall process as there is so much to be learned from the phased approach you took, materials researched and applied, all the way to finish of the cabinets and grills.  

Good on you, Kent, fantastic effort and collaborative discussion,  Finding out the smartest person is usually a community effort supporting their passion!