ar 93 eq speaker

brownie

They are definitely a better option did you search to see if there are any 6 ohm tweeters out there? The resistance is not going to make much as a different because the frequency range of tweeters in general say if you used a different type of tweeters 

11 hours ago, brownie said:

....anyone know a suitable upgrade.

Brownie, am not sure what you're saying here - - - upgrade? - - - are your tweeters non-functional, or are you dissatisfied with the originals? 

5 hours ago, nefertem said:

I never did like the original tweeters in the 93s when I first bought them

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I find this statement perplexing, too. I think this family of 1-1/4" tweeters are terrific, and AR engineers must have found them quite satisfactory as well since versions of this tweeter found their way into at least a dozen speaker models over a number of years.

Ra Ra I just felt like when I was listening to the speakers it seemed somewhat veiled in that area I had a Hartman Kardon intergrated amp and my AR Turntable with the original arm and using a nice Denon cartridge 

i just felt if AR used one of there tweeters in the AR 9s series it would of made a big difference. Everyone has to remember Teledyne was out to make money so using that type of tweeters helped save money (not saying it was trash just that they had better ones in stock if they wanted to use in there lower priced speakers)ps Engineers were restricted on the budget they were allowed for that particular model. and using the same tweeter or midrange woofer helped in various models helped control the cost . I worked at Apogee Acoustic for a few years 

Brownie you would need to remove one of the bottom woofers to get access, I actually removed the whole crossover from the cabinet to rebuild it and upgrade the speaker terminals with banana female inputs 

1 hour ago, nefertem said:

Brownie you would need to remove one of the bottom woofers to get access, I actually removed the whole crossover from the cabinet to rebuild it and upgrade the speaker terminals with banana female inputs 

ok thats easy as im reconing all the woofers. thanks great help.

5 hours ago, brownie said:

....im reconing all the woofers...

Re-coning is a reasonably involved process often required due to significant damage to a driver, whereas re-foaming is relatively simple and essentially a form of periodic maintenance. I assume your work refers to re-foaming here.

There seem to be a number of versions of the AR-93, so it would be helpful here if you could document the particular model you have. Noting part numbers for the 8-inch drivers and details of the crossover might be very useful. Also, it is easy to add pics to your thread (100kb jpeg files are more than satisfactory), and that is always appreciated in this forum as well as helpful for your project.

14 hours ago, nefertem said:

i just felt if AR used one of there tweeters in the AR 9s series it would of made a big difference.

AR-9 series?........are we talking about the same family of tweeters? I think the pic attached below is the p/n 038 tweeter that the OP has mentioned - - - this has a 3-1/2" dia. faceplate and a 2-3/8" dia. magnet.

Now I recall your project after seeing this thread again - - I don't believe you had any AR drivers at all left in those speakers, is that correct?

038 tweet.jpg

38 minutes ago, ra.ra said:

Re-coning is a reasonably involved process often required due to significant damage to a driver, whereas re-foaming is relatively simple and essentially a form of periodic maintenance. I assume your work refers to re-foaming here.

There seem to be a number of versions of the AR-93, so it would be helpful here if you could document the particular model you have. Noting part numbers for the 8-inch drivers and details of the crossover might be very useful. Also, it is easy to add pics to your thread (100kb jpeg files are more than satisfactory), and that is always appreciated in this forum as well as helpful for your project.

AR-9 series?........are we talking about the same family of tweeters? I think the pic attached below is the p/n 038 tweeter that the OP has mentioned - - - this has a 3-1/2" dia. faceplate and a 2-3/8" dia. magnet.

Now I recall your project after seeing this thread again - - I don't believe you had any AR drivers at all left in those speakers, is that correct?

038 tweet.jpg

Ra Ra how does it make sense to spend 80 dollars on a pair of tweeters that cost a few dollars back in the 80s and not knowing if the ferrofluid is still good 

these are not the AR3 Tweeters 

On 1/5/2020 at 10:37 AM, nefertem said:

could you suggest a good brand of capacitors

On 1/5/2020 at 1:44 PM, nefertem said:

That is right Ra Ra my offer is still open to come over for a listening demonstration as I do still have my AR Turntable 

To clarify...you are discussing a personal project using a pair of stripped AR cabinets? You connected new drivers to the old crossovers, you are obviously happy with the sound, and you are recommending it as an "upgrade" based on your listening impressions. Glad you are happy with it, but this thread should be in the "mods and tweaks" section of the forum. You are no longer discussing a pair of AR speakers.

As an aside, there is much more engineering involved in designing a speaker system than than the cost of the drivers. You could plop $100 replacement tweeters into a pair of decently designed speakers and degrade the overall performance. "Engineers on a budget" are still engineers. What are your credentials?

Roy