Ken, is the NHT 1259 comparable to 12" AR woofers?

soundminded

Hi there. Sorry I've been off line here for so long.

The comments here are basically correct: the 1259 is designed for a substantially bigger box than the original AR 12". Given this, one can squeeze a little bit more LF output out of it under optimum conditions.

Also, it is very unusual to find drop-in replacement woofers that do not require major crossover modifications to maintain the original response. This is especially the case when looking at the difference between a polypropylene cone (the 1259) and a paper cone (the AR).

The woofer used in the AR303a is, in some respects, a blend of the two design approaches. It uses a cone and suspension system that is closer to the original AR, but a motor that shares some similarity with the NHT 1259.

The recommended internal volume for the 1259 is 3.5 cubic feet. If I put two in the same box for a configuration similar to AR9, should I double the volume? Will I get the kind of outstanding results comparable to AR9? BTW, Madisound has both a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm version. There are slight differences in performance however besides just the electrical parameters. The 4 ohm has more mass, a lower Fs, and greater sensitivity. Initially it appears to be a better performer than the 8 ohm version. Is one preferable over the other from either a performance or practical basis. Both have the same price, $150. Madisound's data for either are different from the data on the link I cited above. BTW, if those people in California are still in existance, their location and phone number have changed with no forwarding information.

Yes, double the volume for two drivers, as a general rule.

When I left NHT, there was only one version of the 1259, so I cannot comment on the differences between the 4 and 8 Ohm units. I'll be seeing some NHT folks soon, and I will try and remember to ask. I suspect the published data tells the whole story.

Were you asking about the fate of A&S Speakers? As far as I know, they are long gone. It was a cool place for a while, hosting DIY contests and such. One year, they hosted a contest for which the judges were Tom Holman, a very young Corey Greenberg, and me. They did a lot to reinvigorate the whole amateur speaker building scene.

Archived