AR Receiver

ToastedAlmond

Congratulations.....sounds like a good trade. Hard to find one for a fair price today and they went for over $400 in 1969, thats about $1500 in todays money. The only down side of reading this post is it reminds me of a set-up I foolishly passed on at a flea market in the late 80's.....an AR receiver, AR turntable, and a pair of 3a speakers...not to mention it came with an jazz record collection..all for $75. It was before I collected AR or KLH but soomething told me I should have pulled my wallet out. It was before the value's soared but a lesson was learned.....when you see a great deal-don't think-just buy it ! Still bugs me 17 years later, but I'll be okey. Good luck with your receiver-

Walnut case is indeed included. Droog, I feel your pain. Had I passed that deal up back then, I still wouldn't be sleeping nights.

I've had the AR integrated amp for a few years now, minus the walnut case. There is just something extra gorgeous about the receiver though. Seems like I've wanted one forever. I had the KEF's for awhile, considered selling them, then decided to just wrap them up and put them in storage. It paid off. So I don't have a pair of KEF's with 6" woofs anymore. I still have a pair of RA Labs Mini-Refs with 6" woofers.

Thanks for the nice words guys.

George

Deals passed on might make a great thread.

About nine years ago, during the summertime, I was fortunate enough to be in a nearby city every day for my lunch hours, and burned quite a few of them at local community/garage/yard sales. On two occasions, I found AR-3's for sale. On guy was selling his for $50.

At the time my knowledge of AR's only went back to the AR-10pi/AR-11 series of 3 way with 12" woofers, so I passed on them, settling for the pair of 48b's that I already had (which were replaced with 303's a few years later). I'd gladly try out a pair for $50 today!

About five years ago, I walked in to a local Salvation Army store to browse around. I happened to be standing in the toy section looking at a stack of boxes on the floor, when I noticed a big blue AR logo on the box on the floor. So, I removed the other boxes from it and in it is an early AR-TA (two motor version) turntable with most of the packing materials in the original box. Everything was there except for the AR badge on the base. I couldn't have gotten to that checkout any faster! When the woman at the checkout asked what it was, I replied "just an old record player". She said "five bucks".

Incredible! I took it home, and it worked fine, but did need new belts. I doubt that I'll find another AR piece in that fashion, but I will keep trying!

Archived