What’s kind of ar3 cabinet wooden

Bin

Hello, 

could someone can help to tell me what ‘s kind of these speaker wooden? 

What’s production time could be for those speakers?

is there any ar3 series could be made before this or not? And how quality of such speakers up to now? Should I send them to clean or restore anything to make sounds close to production time as much as possible? ( now they are still working )

thanks for your advice

D2B1FEB0-1DBD-4846-A4C3-D95BAA8659BF.jpeg

F4C7239D-D043-4E0F-96B8-A324112DE144.jpeg

4A030EFD-2AA0-46D9-A512-71F6A0490942.jpeg

CE736E03-66BC-449F-B51C-95F6E1BD677A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree with Tom.

Regarding their performance, I can almost guarantee they are no where near new performance. Yours look completely original.

The mids are the big problem, which is very common. The flexable sealer around the base of the domes is now close to 60 years old, and most likely rock hard. This keeps the dome from moving, greatly diminishing their sound output. They can possibly be restored by Roy C., but you'll need to remove them from the cabinets and ship them to the U.S. The tweeters usually fare better, but often the dome has started to pop out from the VC gap, again pretty common. They can also be repaired here by Chris, who replaces the little foam dots, and reseals the dome at the base. The third issue is corroded pots, which increase or decrease the mids and tweeters output. Often they have dead spots causing no sound to come from the drivers. They can be opened up, cleaned, and possibly reused if the disks are in good condition, and the pot wipers tips don't have holes, or are completely corroded away. 

I don't intend to scare you, but just give you the facts about these old speakers. I have 2 pairs of the 3's, one 1965, and also from 1960.

The 1965's have been restored and sound fabulous. The 1960's were restored, but the mids will need Roy to restore them.

These are special, and if you are serious about restoring and keeping them, then I suggest restoring them properly, they are worth it!

Good luck!

Glenn

Look through the thread "Stopped for toilet paper, found some AR3's" thread. These are mine, and have lots of pics of the restoration which should be helpful for you to see what's involved.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:12 AM, GD70 said:

I agree with Tom.

Regarding their performance, I can almost guarantee they are no where near new performance. Yours look completely original.

The mids are the big problem, which is very common. The flexable sealer around the base of the domes is now close to 60 years old, and most likely rock hard. This keeps the dome from moving, greatly diminishing their sound output. They can possibly be restored by Roy C., but you'll need to remove them from the cabinets and ship them to the U.S. The tweeters usually fare better, but often the dome has started to pop out from the VC gap, again pretty common. They can also be repaired here by Chris, who replaces the little foam dots, and reseals the dome at the base. The third issue is corroded pots, which increase or decrease the mids and tweeters output. Often they have dead spots causing no sound to come from the drivers. They can be opened up, cleaned, and possibly reused if the disks are in good condition, and the pot wipers tips don't have holes, or are completely corroded away. 

I don't intend to scare you, but just give you the facts about these old speakers. I have 2 pairs of the 3's, one 1965, and also from 1960.

The 1965's have been restored and sound fabulous. The 1960's were restored, but the mids will need Roy to restore them.

These are special, and if you are serious about restoring and keeping them, then I suggest restoring them properly, they are worth it!

Good luck!

Glenn

Look through the thread "Stopped for toilet paper, found some AR3's" thread. These are mine, and have lots of pics of the restoration which should be helpful for you to see what's involved.

Dear Glenn

appreciate for your details information 

by the way, could i ask for what’s kind of material made in front terminal strip ( aluminum or plastic or any kind?) I would like to ask because I tried to re-connect aluminum lead to that terminal but it doesn’t work. Should I remove that terminal strip and connect the lead directly?

in the second picture, I saw the yellow dots is very little, I don’t know whether it’s normal or abnormal things compared to 3rd picture which you can see the yellow dot is much bigger??

sorry as i’m really newbie and need the support, 

thanks a lot

B90B2D2D-CC20-45AF-BEB9-325E50D6C427.jpeg

83D5F999-83E6-4A63-8DAA-BC555C211BBC.jpeg

365D0A5B-EB35-4C8A-83C2-C702C045A1D0.jpeg

The wires from the mids are aluminum. You will need aluminum solder. It is not easy to work with, and does not flow like normal silver solder. It kind of sputters as it gets hot. It must be very hot to flow. The terminal tabs are metal, no plastic, do not remove it. 

The tweeter foam blobs seem ok. I've seen very small and large. As long as the dome is sitting in place and not popping out, it should be fine. The tweeter that has OK on it has had some kind of work done. Those screws are not original like the first tweeter photo. If it sounds good I wouldn't worry about it.